public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty <hamishmb@live.co.uk>
To: "cygwin-apps@cygwin.com" <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Subject: Tox issues with Python 3.6 and 3.7
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:56:50 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi there,

This is a follow-up to Marco Atzeri and I talking about tox in the
Python 3.9 email thread. I have just started trying to use tox for
testing python-imaging.

I have found that tox has some issues on Python 3.6 and 3.7, namely that:

3.6:

typing-extensions (on PyPI) is required for tox to run (I installed with
pip3.6). This is not available in the Cygwin repositories.

Then, platformdirs is needed. This is available in the Cygwin
repositories but not for 3.6.

I then decided not to bother supporting 3.6 seeing as it is EOL now anyway.

3.7:

As above typing-extensions is required, which I installed with pip3.7.

Tox then says it can't find the "interpreter for Builtin discover of
python_spec='python3.7m'"

It also seems to be trying to build Pillow again inside a virtualenv,
but doesn't find jpeg headers/libraries, which are installed.

Marco, I assume you didn't have these problems when you tested, or you
found a way to fix them. Having never used tox before, I'm at a bit of a
loss, any ideas?

Hamish