On 13/09/2020 16:02, Brian Inglis wrote: > On 2020-09-13 01:39, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote: >> On 13/09/2020 07:13, Achim Gratz wrote: >>> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes: >>>> Hmm, who decides (and how) what counts as a Linux distro? >>> Something that is capable of and has actually done a license review. >> Seems fair. >>>> Either way, could anyone provide some insight as to whether bundling the >>>> Cygwin DLL would allow Cygwin programs to access the virtual /dev and >>>> /cygdrive paths? I have this all ready to be released for Windows, so >>>> one way or another I'll need to make a bundle anyway for convenience. >>> Yes, all the virtual fs are provided through the Cygwin DLL. >> Excellent, thank you :) >>>> It'd be great if it could make it into the official repos but I first >>>> submitted this ITP around a month ago so I don't have high hopes as of >>>> this point. >>> You still haven't explained what it would be useful for. This >>> bare-metal stuff isn't something I'd usually consider doing from within >>> a userland compatibility layer running on Windows. >> My apologies - I thought I had but that must be a false memory. This >> module is a device information collector, and in Cygwin's case it makes >> it easy for users of DDRescue-GUI to find the link between the Windows >> drive letters and Cygwin paths. It also provides other information such >> as make and model, but this is limited on Cygwin because some of the >> more low-level device management utilities don't exist, probably due to >> bits of missing API as explained to me by Corrina (at least I think it >> was her). It behaves very similarly on macOS and Linux, except it just >> needs to inform the user of device details instead of also relating to >> drive letters/Windows names. >> >> This is basically just a dependency for DDRescue-GUI (a GUI I wrote for >> GNU ddrescue), and I had interest on getting this running easily on >> Windows, so I thought Cygwin would be the way to go for better >> compatibility. You can find DDRescue-GUI here: >> https://www.hamishmb.com/html/downloads.php?program_name=ddrescue-gui >> and the user guide is available from the nav bar if you want more >> information about it. >> >> Does that answer your question - hopefully I didn't miss the point. > Package smartmontools has access to some low level disk I/O features when run > elevated under an admin account. Yes, I think you (or maybe Corinna) told me this before - getdevinfo compiles this together with other information to try and get as complete a picture as possible. That was a useful tip for sure. Hamish