On 13/09/2020 07:13, Achim Gratz wrote: > Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes: >> Hmm, who decides (and how) what counts as a Linux distro? > Something that is capable of and has actually done a license review. Seems fair. >> Either way, could anyone provide some insight as to whether bundling the >> Cygwin DLL would allow Cygwin programs to access the virtual /dev and >> /cygdrive paths? I have this all ready to be released for Windows, so >> one way or another I'll need to make a bundle anyway for convenience. > Yes, all the virtual fs are provided through the Cygwin DLL. Excellent, thank you :) > >> It'd be great if it could make it into the official repos but I first >> submitted this ITP around a month ago so I don't have high hopes as of >> this point. > You still haven't explained what it would be useful for. This > bare-metal stuff isn't something I'd usually consider doing from within > a userland compatibility layer running on Windows. My apologies - I thought I had but that must be a false memory. This module is a device information collector, and in Cygwin's case it makes it easy for users of DDRescue-GUI to find the link between the Windows drive letters and Cygwin paths. It also provides other information such as make and model, but this is limited on Cygwin because some of the more low-level device management utilities don't exist, probably due to bits of missing API as explained to me by Corrina (at least I think it was her). It behaves very similarly on macOS and Linux, except it just needs to inform the user of device details instead of also relating to drive letters/Windows names. This is basically just a dependency for DDRescue-GUI (a GUI I wrote for GNU ddrescue), and I had interest on getting this running easily on Windows, so I thought Cygwin would be the way to go for better compatibility. You can find DDRescue-GUI here: https://www.hamishmb.com/html/downloads.php?program_name=ddrescue-gui and the user guide is available from the nav bar if you want more information about it. Does that answer your question - hopefully I didn't miss the point. Thanks, Hamish