public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* RE: setup.exe command line options
@ 2002-01-24  4:06 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-24  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: cygwin-apps

CVS Setup will replace in-use files correctly (tested on NT only at this
point) if the following predicates are true:

Any given file is only attempted to be replaced once.
The last action on each file is NOT a delete.
The drive letters on the next reboot are the same.

Rob

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-24  3:50 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2002-01-24  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-01-24  3:35   ` keith_starsmeare@yahoo.co.uk
From: keith_starsmeare@yahoo.co.uk @ 2002-01-24  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-23 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keith_starsmeare, cygwin-apps

===
From: keith_starsmeare@yahoo.co.uk @ 2002-01-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> >I'm wondering if I could submit what I have so far, and either leave some
> >bits #ifdef'd out (how does the undefined macro
> >COMMAND_LINE_OPTIONS_FULLY_IMPLEMENTED sound!?) or just miss those bits
out
> >completely from my diff.

> Does it even need to be commented out?  It seems like, if it works
partially,
> we just have a partial implementation.  No need to suffer the bit rot
assocated
> with ifdefs.

For the options that don't work, should I leave in the working getopt code
and take out the broken implementation?

Also, incorrect usage, or --help pops up a window. Should I take that out
completely, ammend it to only include working options, or show all the
options that I wanted to work?

Keith

* Re: setup.exe command line options
@ 2002-01-23 15:17 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-23 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keith_starsmeare; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Release early and often.  Go ahead and publish what you have, against
current CVS.  You only need to #ifdef stuff out if it will actually
BREAK something that is currently working.  If it's, say, the handler
for an incompletely implemented commandline option, then it won't break
anything (unless someone actually tries to USE that commandline option.)
- in that case, it doesn't need to be #ifdef'ed.

But Robert has the final call, of course.

--Chuck

@ 2002-01-23 15:05 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-23 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 10:36:44PM -0000, keith_starsmeare@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>I've made some progress, but it's still (infuriatingly) not at the stage
>where you can do a whole installation without dialog boxes (no offense -
>they're lovely dialog boxes!), but you can certainly have *fewer* dialog
>boxes!
>
>I'm wondering if I could submit what I have so far, and either leave some
>bits #ifdef'd out (how does the undefined macro
>COMMAND_LINE_OPTIONS_FULLY_IMPLEMENTED sound!?) or just miss those bits out
>completely from my diff.
>
>I was hoping to submit the final fully working diffs, but I'm only working
>in my spare time and everytime I have a look at the latest sources they've
>moved on so far.... I'm always playing catch up! I've done a lot of the
>grunt work; and I'd like some feedback on what I've done.

Does it even need to be commented out?  It seems like, if it works partially,
we just have a partial implementation.  No need to suffer the bit rot assocated
with ifdefs.

cgf

* Re: setup.exe command line options
@ 2002-01-23 15:05 ` Robert Collins
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-23 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keith_starsmeare, cygwin-apps

===
> I've made some progress, but it's still (infuriatingly) not at the
stage
> where you can do a whole installation without dialog boxes (no
offense -
> they're lovely dialog boxes!), but you can certainly have *fewer*
dialog
> boxes!
>
> I'm wondering if I could submit what I have so far, and either leave
some
> bits #ifdef'd out (how does the undefined macro
> COMMAND_LINE_OPTIONS_FULLY_IMPLEMENTED sound!?) or just miss those
bits out
> completely from my diff.

If it compiles, and works via the GUI, it is a candidate for inclusion.
I'd rather not include something #ifdef'd because it doesn't compile
otherwise.

> I was hoping to submit the final fully working diffs, but I'm only
working
> in my spare time and everytime I have a look at the latest sources
they've
> moved on so far.... I'm always playing catch up! I've done a lot of
the
> grunt work; and I'd like some feedback on what I've done.

Submit what you've got, I've not seen the approach yet, so rather than
you having a lot of gruntwork  to do, lets get the review process
happenning ASAP.

Rob

* setup.exe command line options
@ 2002-01-23 14:51 keith_starsmeare@yahoo.co.uk