public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Setup - Idea...
@ 2002-01-24  5:20 Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2002-01-24  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi ... I am going out on a limb here and assume that this feature hasnt been
suggested before. (ummm yeah I know I should of checked the message lists -
I am prepared to shoot myself if I am wrong :P)

Having just read Corinna's announcement that regex was going to be removed.
I was thinking that prehaps there should be the ability to create an entry
in setup.ini - which will cause setup to default to uninstall for a given
package.  Not sure if in this case it would be the best idea - but prehaps
there are other circumstances where it would it might come in useful in the
future.

If theres interest - I can probably steal enough time to write a patch (umm
I - *hope*)

Gareth - is sorely tempted to try and give BIND ago for maintainership -
since its requested so much :P ... wonder if people complaining about it not
working would mind 'I aint got a clue - I just maintaining this for lack of
a maintainer' on a regular basis ;)

hmm still need to decide between nano 1.0.8 and 1.1.5 as well.

* Re: Setup - Idea...
@ 2002-01-24  9:45 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gareth Pearce; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 22:35, Gareth Pearce wrote:
> Hi ... I am going out on a limb here and assume that this feature hasnt been
> suggested before. (ummm yeah I know I should of checked the message lists -
> I am prepared to shoot myself if I am wrong :P)

I'm not sure if it's been suggested, but I don't think its a good thing
- IMO when a package is removed, setup should leave it installed, until
the user requests that it be removed.

I'm not religious on this one, so if anyone disagrees, just chime in.

Rob

* Re: Setup - Idea...
@ 2002-01-25  1:13   ` Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2002-01-25  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin-apps

> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 22:35, Gareth Pearce wrote:
> > Hi ... I am going out on a limb here and assume that this feature hasnt
been
> > suggested before. (ummm yeah I know I should of checked the message
lists -
> > I am prepared to shoot myself if I am wrong :P)
>
> I'm not sure if it's been suggested, but I don't think its a good thing
> - IMO when a package is removed, setup should leave it installed, until
> the user requests that it be removed.
I agree - 'except' - where not removing it is almost certain to cause pain
and suffering.

I think I can see this being possible - but ummm maybe its really more an
extension of 'conflicts with' - and so when conflicts get added it can be
done then...
(like cygwin conflicts with regex - which it doesnt I am
hoping/guessing/havent seen any eveidence yet - but in a similar
circumstance prehaps it would)

Gareth

* Re: Setup - Idea...
@ 2002-01-25  6:34   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2002-01-25  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Gareth Pearce, Earnie Boyd

Robert Collins wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 22:35, Gareth Pearce wrote:
> > Hi ... I am going out on a limb here and assume that this feature hasnt been
> > suggested before. (ummm yeah I know I should of checked the message lists -
> > I am prepared to shoot myself if I am wrong :P)
>
> I'm not sure if it's been suggested, but I don't think its a good thing
> - IMO when a package is removed, setup should leave it installed, until
> the user requests that it be removed.

Ditto.

> I'm not religious on this one, so if anyone disagrees, just chime in.

Ok, I'll be the religious one.  If a package is removed from setup.ini
then setup should leave previously installed versions alone.  If a
package needs to be removed due to serious conflicts with Cygwin then a
null package can be created to remove the conflicting files.  Then at a
later date the null package can be deleted.

Note: A null package is one with just an obligatory
/usr/doc/cygwin/<package>-README that explains the removal decision.

Earnie.

* Re: Setup - Idea...
@ 2002-01-25  9:38     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-25  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> (like cygwin conflicts with regex - which it doesnt I am
> hoping/guessing/havent seen any eveidence yet - but in a similar
> circumstance prehaps it would)

It does.  regex.h is obviously in both packages currently.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Setup - Idea...
@ 2002-01-26 22:41     ` Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2002-01-26 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> Ok, I'll be the religious one.  If a package is removed from setup.ini
> then setup should leave previously installed versions alone.  If a
> package needs to be removed due to serious conflicts with Cygwin then a
> null package can be created to remove the conflicting files.  Then at a
> later date the null package can be deleted.
>
> Note: A null package is one with just an obligatory
> /usr/doc/cygwin/<package>-README that explains the removal decision.

This 'feature' I hadnt considered - it implements all the abilities that I
was thinking might be needed...
So therefore my post was useless afterall! :) (well besides me learning
something potentially useful at some point in the future)

Gareth