public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: resolv.conf and gnupg2
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 09:30:47 +0200	[thread overview]

On Aug  7 16:34, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently as default Gnupg 2.x is unable to contact keyservers and recover
> any key. Gnupg 1.x has not such problem
>
> $  /usr/bin/gpg2 --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 5981E818 gpg: keyserver
> receive failed: No such file or directory
>
> The cryptic message is due to the absence of a /etc/resolv.conf
> as adding a simple one with a public DNS server overcomes the issue
>
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ; /etc/resolv.conf file for dnsmaster
> ;
> domain           .com
> nameserver       0.0.0.0
> nameserver       8.8.8.8
>

> $  /usr/bin/gpg2 --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 5981E818
> gpg: key D17BF2305981E818: 1 duplicate signature removed
> gpg: key D17BF2305981E818: "Andrew Makhorin <mao@mai2.rcnet.ru>" not chan
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:              unchanged: 1
>

> I would expect BIND to be a package that creates/manages resolv.conf as
> it provides a library to parser it, but I do not see any place where this is
> done.
>
> $ cygcheck -p resolv.conf
> Found 7 matches for resolv.conf
> ..
> libirs161-9.11.9-1 - libirs161: BIND resolv.conf parser library
> man-pages-linux-5.13-1 - man-pages-linux: Linux manual pages
>
> Any suggestion on how to solve the absence of /etc/resolv.conf ?
> I doubt  gnupg2 is the proper package to do so.

I can't believe (but may be wrong, of course) that gnupg2 tries to
access /etc/resolv.conf by itself.  I would rather guess that gnupg2
is linked against one or more libs provided by the bind package,
and thus uses the resolver from the bind package.  However, Cygwin
provides its own resolver entry points, and those don't need
/etc/resolv.conf, because they utilize the OS resolver.

Is there a build option to avoid building against the bind lib?
Alternatively it might be possible to inject an autoconf variable
from cygport...?

Corinna