public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Let's Encrypt Dropping Cross-Signed Root and Intermediates; Issuing New Intermediates; New Cert Chains
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:13:35 -0600	[thread overview]

Unsure of impact and action required was why I posted - Cygwin, Sourceware, GNU,
Kernel.org, etc. use LE certs.

Looks like new root and/or intermediate certs are available to be packaged
before they will be used 2024 June 6 and old cross-signed root if included may
be removed before 2024 Sep 30.

Seems that outdated Android versions will no longer work as before on LE
certified sites, but probably others have also changed by now.

On 2024-04-19 06:48, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 17/04/2024 04:48, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Is this FYI, or are you suggesting there is some specific action we need to take?
>
>> https://letsencrypt.org/2023/07/10/cross-sign-expiration
>> Shortening the Let's Encrypt Chain of Trust
>> "On Thursday, Feb 8th, 2024, we stopped providing the cross-sign by default in
>> requests made to our /acme/certificate API endpoint.
>> On Thursday, June 6th, 2024, we will stop providing the longer cross-signed
>> chain entirely.
>> On Monday, September 30th, 2024, the cross-signed certificate will expire."
>>
>> https://letsencrypt.org/2024/03/19/new-intermediate-certificates
>> New Intermediate Certificates
>> "Let’s Encrypt generated 10 new Intermediate CA Key Pairs, and issued 15 new
>> Intermediate CA Certificates containing the new public keys."
>>
>> https://letsencrypt.org/2024/04/12/changes-to-issuance-chains
>> Deploying Let's Encrypt's New Issuance Chains
>> "On Thursday, June 6th, 2024, we will be switching issuance to use our new
>> intermediate certificates. Simultaneously, we are removing the DST Root CA X3
>> cross-sign from our API, aligning with our strategy to shorten the Let’s
>> Encrypt chain of trust. We will begin issuing ECDSA end-entity certificates
>> from a default chain that just contains a single ECDSA intermediate, removing
>> a second intermediate and the option to issue an ECDSA end-entity certificate
>> from an RSA intermediate."

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry