public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: autotools fails to find /lib/liblz.a
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 13:27:45 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2020-10-31 01:43, ASSI wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I have now put the packages up on Google Drive for review in another post.
>
> Can you leave that Google stuff out here please?

That is my only online shared storage available, as my cableco ISP decided there
was little customer demand for any, like they decided there was little customer
demand for Usenet News feeds, and may yet decide there is little demand for
their email services!

> Looking at the logs in your issue report… please cut all the extra
> nonsense from your PATH when building Cygwin packages.  At best it just
> slows things down further.  Also, I wouldn't recommend to build in $HOME
> if you can help it, Windows likes to "protect" files there.  Last but
> not least, since this is obviously a machine that you use for other
> things you might want to separate the Cygwin instance you are typically
> using from the two you are building with.

What's set up in my profile has been added to since SunOS, Solaris, AIX, etc.
days across many systems including corps' Windows systems running (DJGPP then)
Cygwin, with customizations and variations by SHELL, TYPE, and HOST, running
integrated, interoperable tool sets, across VMs, local, and remote systems at
times.
It runs Cygwin services and I work under X with PCmanFM, etc.
If PATH ever becomes a problem, I save it and shorten it.
I run a number of customizations that trips up poorly written code that makes
unjustified assumptions.

A lot of what you see is from a log sanitizing script I keep adding to: builds
are actually under Cygwin /home/$USER/src/cygwin/$PKG/ or /home/$USER/src/$PKG/
for packages from other sources.

Is there a good and easy way to run multiple term windows from separate
instances while sharing the infrastructure to consolidate maintenance?
The Cygwin Setup program has an annoying habit of breaking or deleting certain
high level symlinks and converting them into directories! ;^>
Ideally I should run 4 extra instances to separate package builds and
newlib-winsup builds on both arches.