public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] bash-completion/-devel
@ 2024-04-29 21:13 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-04-29 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Apps; +Cc: Eric Blake

I would like to co-maintain or adopt and revive the above package, which was
adopted by Eric but not updated since Yaakov.

Below are links to existing source packages, build repos, scallywag runs, and
updated package info.

I would like to further improve the sdesc and ldesc provided to reflect that
completions are provided for thousands of commands and their options and arguments.

Bash Completions and development

Existing source package:

https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/bash-completion-src.html

Updated cygport:

https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/bash-completion/tree/bash-completion.cygport?h=playground

Scallywag runs:

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=bash-completion

Bash Completions and development

bash-completion is a collection of shell functions that use the
programmable completion feature of bash.

For more information see the project home page:

	https://github.com/scop/bash-completion

See below for details of changes:

	https://github.com/scop/bash-completion/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

bash-completion		Bash Completions

Existing package:

https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/bash-completion.html

bash-completion-devel	Bash Completions (development)

Existing package:

https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/bash-completion-devel.html

* Re: [ITA] bash-completion/-devel
@ 2024-05-03 13:40 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-05-03 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 29/04/2024 22:13, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> I would like to co-maintain or adopt and revive the above package, which
> was adopted by Eric but not updated since Yaakov.

Thanks.

I added this to your packages.

I guess I need to ask eblake if he wants to orphan his packages, since
he seems to be no longer active...

> Below are links to existing source packages, build repos, scallywag
> runs, and updated package info.
>
> I would like to further improve the sdesc and ldesc provided to reflect
> that completions are provided for thousands of commands and their
> options and arguments.
>

> Bash Completions and development
>
> Existing source package:
>
> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/bash-completion-src.html
>
> Updated cygport:
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/bash-completion/tree/bash-completion.cygport?h=playground

A few comments:

> DEPEND="automake dejagnu make screen"	# tcllib
> BUILD_REQUIRES="$DEPEND"

Just set BUILD_REQUIRES.

I assume the comment about tcllib means something to someone. :)

> src_test() {
>     cd $B
> # For some tests involving non-ASCII filenames
>     export LANG=C.UTF-8
>     export -f cygtest
> # This stuff borrowed from dejagnu-1.4.4-17 (tests need a terminal)
>     tmpfile=$(mktemp bash-completion.screen.XXXXXXXXXX.tmp)
> #   cygtest

At first glance, because this is commented out, I thought "so this
doesn't run tests at all"

Maybe remove the commented out line, and write a comment saying
something like "run tests under screen, since they need a terminal"

>     screen -D -m bash -c '( cygtest ; echo $? ) >'$tmpfile
>     cat $tmpfile
 >     result=$(tail -n 1 $tmpfile)

This cleverness to propagate the exit code is probably also worthy of
comment, since I had to think about it for a few minutes before I
realized what it was doing...

Perhaps should remove tmpfile here?

@ 2024-05-03 14:58   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-05-03 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2024-05-03 07:40, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 29/04/2024 22:13, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I would like to co-maintain or adopt and revive the above package, which was
>> adopted by Eric but not updated since Yaakov.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I added this to your packages.

Thanks Jon

> I guess I need to ask eblake if he wants to orphan his packages, since he seems
> to be no longer active...

Looks like he's busy with Austin Group POSIX + IEEE update plus work

>> Below are links to existing source packages, build repos, scallywag runs, and
>> updated package info.
>>
>> I would like to further improve the sdesc and ldesc provided to reflect that
>> completions are provided for thousands of commands and their options and
>> arguments.
>>

>> Bash Completions and development
>>
>> Existing source package:
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/bash-completion-src.html
>>
>> Updated cygport:
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/bash-completion/tree/bash-completion.cygport?h=playground
>
> A few comments:

>> DEPEND="automake dejagnu make screen"    # tcllib
>> BUILD_REQUIRES="$DEPEND"
>
> Just set BUILD_REQUIRES.
>
> I assume the comment about tcllib means something to someone. :)

Checked Fedora spec for "advice" - required for testing - n/a on Cygwin

>> src_test() {
>>     cd $B
>> # For some tests involving non-ASCII filenames
>>     export LANG=C.UTF-8
>>     export -f cygtest
>> # This stuff borrowed from dejagnu-1.4.4-17 (tests need a terminal)
>>     tmpfile=$(mktemp bash-completion.screen.XXXXXXXXXX.tmp)
>> #   cygtest
>
> At first glance, because this is commented out, I thought "so this doesn't run
> tests at all"
>
> Maybe remove the commented out line, and write a comment saying something like
> "run tests under screen, since they need a terminal"
>
>>     screen -D -m bash -c '( cygtest ; echo $? ) >'$tmpfile
>>     cat $tmpfile
>>     result=$(tail -n 1 $tmpfile)

Also borrowed from Fedora spec.
Plan to do more comments and cleanup before merging to master.
They also had a ChangeLog generation problem so reported upstream and made my
own; they are trying a fix and update or may have a newer package release.

> This cleverness to propagate the exit code is probably also worthy of comment,
> since I had to think about it for a few minutes before I realized what it was
> doing...
>
> Perhaps should remove tmpfile here?

Must have deleted instead of commenting out!

>>     return $result
>> }

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: [ITA] bash-completion/-devel
@ 2024-05-21 13:19   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-05-21 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin-apps

On 03/05/2024 14:40, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 29/04/2024 22:13, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I would like to co-maintain or adopt and revive the above package,
>> which was adopted by Eric but not updated since Yaakov.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I added this to your packages.
>
> I guess I need to ask eblake if he wants to orphan his packages, since
> he seems to be no longer active...
Excluding co-maintained packages, the list is:

@ 2024-05-21 16:02     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-05-21 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2024-05-21 07:19, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 03/05/2024 14:40, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 29/04/2024 22:13, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> I would like to co-maintain or adopt and revive the above package, which was
>>> adopted by Eric but not updated since Yaakov.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I added this to your packages.
>>
>> I guess I need to ask eblake if he wants to orphan his packages, since he
>> seems to be no longer active...
> Excluding co-maintained packages, the list is:
>
>> $ grep 'Eric Blake' cygwin-pkg-maint | grep -v '/'
>> bashdb                                       Eric Blake
>> cppi                                         Eric Blake
>> cvsps                                        ORPHANED (Eric Blake)
>> cvsutils                                     Eric Blake
>> gperf                                        Eric Blake
>> libsigsegv                                   Eric Blake
>> sharutils                                    Eric Blake

I looked at cvsutils and sharutils and concluded that they were unlikely to be
upgraded upstream, although you can add my name to those if you wish.

I do not remember looking at the others, although some may be in a similar
state, or gone walkabout, and I did not have sufficient interest to recall.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry