There is a gnulib bug in threadlib.m4 from at least serial 29 to serial 31 that incorrectly configures Cygwin support of weak references. This leads to SIGSEGV stack smashing crashes with no backtrace @ 0x00000000100000000 or 0x0000000500000000 etc. normally during tests. Akim Demaille on bug-bison referred the issue to bug-gnulib where Bruno Haible diagnosed and patched the problem to appear in m4/threadlib.m4 serial 32: * m4/threadlib.m4 (gl_WEAK_SYMBOLS): Force a "guessing no" result on Cygwin https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2021-09/msg00068.html [gl_cv_have_weak="guessing no"] The patch has now been applied to bison, wget, and wget2, and I have attached my patches for the copies in those packages, in case anyone else has this issue in their (mainly GNU) packages which may incorporate by inclusion recently updated gnulib m4 macros used in autotools builds. -- Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised. [Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]