public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* cygwin-pkg-maint cleanup
@ 2022-06-25 12:57 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-06-25 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've done a cleanup of cygwin-pkg-maint, removing a number of source
packages names which no longer exist.

I also removed some source packages names whose ITPs stalled somehow.
The packages were approved, but never got uploaded.  Future ITPs of the
same are welcome.

cmocka                                       Stephen Groat
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2017-November/038771.html

git-filter-repo                              James Morris
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2022-March/041928.html

libsass                                      Marcos Vives Del Sol
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2016-June/037352.html

mtr                                          Brian Inglis
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2019-July/039624.html

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint cleanup
@ 2022-06-25 17:24 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-06-25 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 25.06.2022 14:57, Jon Turney wrote:

> I've done a cleanup of cygwin-pkg-maint, removing a number of source
> packages names which no longer exist.

thanks Jon

> I also removed some source packages names whose ITPs stalled somehow.
> The packages were approved, but never got uploaded.  Future ITPs of the
> same are welcome.

this probably was killed upstream around the same time

> libsass                                      Marcos Vives Del Sol
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2016-June/037352.html

https://sass-lang.com/blog/libsass-is-deprecated

Regards
Marco

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint cleanup
@ 2022-11-29 21:36 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-11-29 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've done another clean-up of cygwin-pkg-maint, removing those source
packages names which no longer exist after x86 was archived (i.e only
existed as x86 packages)

> cygwin64-*       ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz) 32-bit only by design
> db4.8            OBSOLETE (Dr. Volker Zell)  Obsoletion by db 5.x was done in an unusual way
> gnome-characters ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz) Presumably build problems on x64. Whole GNOME stack needs looking at
> hdparm           ORPHANED (Christian Franke) Presumably build problems on x64. Cygwin-specific port of hdparm
> sushi            ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz) Presumably build problems on x64. GNOME file manager previewer. Whole GNOME stack needs looking at
> xemacs           ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)  Is it dead yet?
> xemacs-mule-sumo ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)  ditto
> xemacs-sumo      ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)  ditto
> xview            Jon Turney                  32-bit only by design

Note that a lot of long obsolete install package names have also
disappeared (e.g. ash, which was obsoleted by dash in 2009, etc.)

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint cleanup
@ 2022-11-30 21:34   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-11-30 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 11/29/2022 4:36 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
>> xemacs           ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)  Is it dead yet?

Not completely:

   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-November/249814.html
   https://foss.heptapod.net/xemacs/xemacs

Ken

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint cleanup
@ 2022-12-01  4:55   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2022-12-01  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, 2022-11-29 at 21:36 +0000, Jon Turney wrote:
> I've done another clean-up of cygwin-pkg-maint, removing those source
> packages names which no longer exist after x86 was archived (i.e only
> existed as x86 packages)
>
> > cygwin64-*       ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz) 32-bit only by design

Is there a point in keeping the cygwin32-* packages around any longer?

--
Yaakov

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint cleanup
@ 2022-12-02 15:06     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-12-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 30/11/2022 21:34, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/29/2022 4:36 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
>>> xemacs           ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)  Is it dead yet?
>
> Not completely:
>
>    https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-November/249814.html
>    https://foss.heptapod.net/xemacs/xemacs

(Imagine a witty meme image here)

This removal is without prejudice any future ITP, if someone should want
to do that, but that seems unlikely at present.

The same goes for everything else on that list.

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint cleanup
@ 2022-12-02 15:06     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-12-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 01/12/2022 04:55, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-11-29 at 21:36 +0000, Jon Turney wrote:
>> I've done another clean-up of cygwin-pkg-maint, removing those source
>> packages names which no longer exist after x86 was archived (i.e only
>> existed as x86 packages)
>>
>>> cygwin64-*       ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz) 32-bit only by design
>
> Is there a point in keeping the cygwin32-* packages around any longer?

No, I just needed to get around to vaulting them first.