public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Cc: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
Subject: Re: how to remove curl replace-versions: 7.86.0-1 hint for test version promoted and superceded
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:43:07 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2022-11-19 09:33, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 19/11/2022 15:39, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2022-11-19 08:13, cygwin-no-reply-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org
>> wrote:
>>> WARNING: package 'curl' replace-versions: uselessly lists version '7.86.0-1',
>>> which is <= current version '7.86.0-2'
>
> The 'replace-versions' information is kept in the override.hint file [1]
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html#override.hint
>
> For future reference, you can upload them as any other file (so, in this case,
> you could have removed or uploaded an empty file in their place).
>
> In this case, since I added them, I have removed those override.hint files for you.
>
>>> WARNING: package 'curl' replace-versions: lists version '7.86.0-1', which is
>>> also available to install
>
> Not sure, but this probably indicates a calm bug of some sort.
>
> For reasons, the solver won't replace a version marked to distupgrade (by
> replace-versions:) if it's also available to install.  This warning is meant to
> alert on that situation.
>
> If I didn't remove the 7.86.0-1 packages when I added this override to withdraw
> it [2], I think this should have been alerting all along.
>
> [2] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-October/252392.html

Thanks Jon,

Thought that was the reason, but could not see an approach: I'll mark your post
to remember this.
So should I touch or echo > PVR.ARCH/dist/override.hint, or
PVR.ARCH/CYGWIN-PATCHES/override.hint, or should I include it in SRC_URI+="
override.hint"?

I believe I released some dependencies as test then rebuilt and rereleased this
as test, which did not seem to trigger the warning, until I untest-ed the test
release, to promote it, right before upload-ing release 2.

I also did this test promotion then upload with some other library dependencies.

I also noticed that libpsl had some upgraded dependencies, so quickly rebuilt
and rereleased that as release 2 to pull in the new gexttext and unistring.

Hopefully that means that curl and git updates will now be clean installs, with
all recent library dependency updates, and a good final state for x86 freeze.

Early yesterday I also untest-ed your previous dialog, tack, and ncurses NMUs
which were still in test, to pick those up in the readline I untest-ed, so those
could be picked up in the new releases.

I also threw in the latest publicsuffix-list update so it lands on x86, as one
would be due soon anyway.

I will monitor apps and cygwin as much as possible this weekend in case any
glitches appear.
Only issue may be updates split across slow mirror updates, an issue I often
have with GNU ftp-mirror especially asc's and sig's.

I'm glad public-inbox is now available with feeds so I can bookmark them on my
mobile.

Hope we all have a good and quiet weekend now. Cheers!

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry