public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Scallywag TeX dblatex font requirements dependencies missing
@ 2022-09-29  6:22 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-09-29  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Applications; +Cc: Brian Inglis

Hi folks, [Please Reply All as Cygwin mail blocked by ISP]

Scallywag job failing complaining about TeX fonts.
Any ideas about what extra TeX font dependencies dblatex requires under
gtk-doc building docs for gsasl 2.2 under playground:

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=4618

https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3148865611/jobs/5119913953

* Re: Scallywag TeX dblatex font requirements dependencies missing
@ 2022-09-30 13:01 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-09-30 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Brian Inglis

On 29/09/2022 07:22, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Hi folks, [Please Reply All as Cygwin mail blocked by ISP]
>
> Scallywag job failing complaining about TeX fonts.
> Any ideas about what extra TeX font dependencies dblatex requires under
> gtk-doc building docs for gsasl 2.2 under playground:
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=4618
>
> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3148865611/jobs/5119913953

Googling the first error message leads me to suggest
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended

* Re: Scallywag TeX dblatex font requirements dependencies missing
@ 2022-09-30 18:25   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-09-30 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Applications; +Cc: Brian.Inglis

On 2022-09-30 07:01, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 29/09/2022 07:22, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Hi folks, [Please Reply All as Cygwin mail blocked by ISP]
>>
>> Scallywag job failing complaining about TeX fonts.
>> Any ideas about what extra TeX font dependencies dblatex requires
>> under gtk-doc building docs for gsasl 2.2 under playground:
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=4618
>>
>> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3148865611/jobs/5119913953
>>

> Googling the first error message leads me to suggest
> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended

Thanks Jon,

I planned to add that and ...extra, but shouldn't presumably required
fonts be TeX/LaTex/dblatex package dependencies, when not mentioned
anywhere in downstream packages, including in build scripts on other
systems?

How are maintainers and users expected to make the connection, if nobody
mentions you need special "unrelated" font packages, in any of the
downstream packages?

For example, for DbLaTeX, only the Windows install page mentions MikTeX
fonts, and there appears to be no other link between the abstract font
specs, the TeX fonts used, and packages required, although there appear
to be mentions of DejaVu "system" fonts, so do non-TeX font packages
also need installed e.g. dejavu-fonts or urw-base35-fonts{,-legacy}?

Those who are not TeXies need a few more hints.

* Re: Scallywag TeX dblatex font requirements dependencies missing
@ 2022-10-08 13:04     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-10-08 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Ken Brown

On 30/09/2022 19:25, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2022-09-30 07:01, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 29/09/2022 07:22, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> Hi folks, [Please Reply All as Cygwin mail blocked by ISP]
>>>
>>> Scallywag job failing complaining about TeX fonts.
>>> Any ideas about what extra TeX font dependencies dblatex requires
>>> under gtk-doc building docs for gsasl 2.2 under playground:
>>>
>>> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=4618
>>>
>>> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3148865611/jobs/5119913953
>
>> Googling the first error message leads me to suggest
>> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended
>
> Thanks Jon,
>
> I planned to add that and ...extra, but shouldn't presumably required
> fonts be TeX/LaTex/dblatex package dependencies, when not mentioned
> anywhere in downstream packages, including in build scripts on other
> systems?
>
> How are maintainers and users expected to make the connection, if nobody
> mentions you need special "unrelated" font packages, in any of the
> downstream packages?
>
> For example, for DbLaTeX, only the Windows install page mentions MikTeX
> fonts, and there appears to be no other link between the abstract font
> specs, the TeX fonts used, and packages required, although there appear
> to be mentions of DejaVu "system" fonts, so do non-TeX font packages
> also need installed e.g. dejavu-fonts or urw-base35-fonts{,-legacy}?
>
> Those who are not TeXies need a few more hints.

I don't know.

Maybe Ken has some insight?

* Re: Scallywag TeX dblatex font requirements dependencies missing
@ 2022-10-08 16:50       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-10-08 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 10/8/2022 9:04 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 30/09/2022 19:25, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Googling the first error message leads me to suggest
>>> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended
>>
>> Thanks Jon,
>>
>> I planned to add that and ...extra, but shouldn't presumably required fonts be
>> TeX/LaTex/dblatex package dependencies, when not mentioned anywhere in
>> downstream packages, including in build scripts on other systems?

I don't think so.  TeX/LaTeX/dblatex can't know what fonts are going to be
required to build documentation for other packages.

>> How are maintainers and users expected to make the connection, if nobody
>> mentions you need special "unrelated" font packages, in any of the downstream
>> packages?
>>
>> For example, for DbLaTeX, only the Windows install page mentions MikTeX fonts,
>> and there appears to be no other link between the abstract font specs, the TeX
>> fonts used, and packages required, although there appear to be mentions of
>> DejaVu "system" fonts, so do non-TeX font packages also need installed e.g.
>> dejavu-fonts or urw-base35-fonts{,-legacy}?
>>
>> Those who are not TeXies need a few more hints.

gsasl should tell you what fonts are required to build its documentation.  Since
it apparently doesn't (I haven't checked), you have to go by the error messages.
  The first error message I see in the log is

! I can't find file `pzdr'

followed shortly by

...failed to make pzdr.tfm.

Searching Cygwin packages for 'pzdr', you find that pzdr.tfm is in
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.  So you add the latter to BUILD_REQUIRES
and try again.  If there are still error messages about missing fonts, repeat
the process.

I don't know any other way to do it.

Ken