public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] dateutils
@ 2024-05-17  5:43 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-05-17  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Date manipulation utilities

Dateutils are a bunch of tools that revolve around fiddling with
dates and times on the command line with a strong focus on use cases
that arise when dealing with large amounts of financial data.

For more information see the project home pages:

	http://www.fresse.org/dateutils
	https://github.com/hroptatyr/dateutils

I would like to adopt the above orphaned package.

Below are links to the existing package, build repo, scallywag runs,
and changes.

Existing package:

	https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/dateutils-src.html

	https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/dateutils.html

Updated cygport:

https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/dateutils/tree/dateutils.cygport?h=playground

Scallywag runs:

	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=dateutils

The single test failure is not reproducible standalone, and appears to
be a Windows, Cygwin, or shell environment space limitation, due to
running 888 tests on a single command line?

Changes since the last Cygwin release:

	https://github.com/hroptatyr/dateutils/compare/v0.4.0...v0.4.11

* Re: [ITA] dateutils
@ 2024-05-21 13:17 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-05-21 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 17/05/2024 06:43, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Date manipulation utilities
[...]
> I would like to adopt the above orphaned package.

Thanks.

I added this to your packages.

> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/dateutils/tree/dateutils.cygport?h=playground

Please cleanup all the commented out detritus.

What is the reasoning for changing SRC_URI to point to github?  The
project homepage still points to bitbucket.org for downloads.

"*** Warning: DEPEND is deprecated, use BUILD_REQUIRES instead."

> Scallywag runs:
>

> 	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=dateutils
>

> The single test failure is not reproducible standalone, and appears to
> be a Windows, Cygwin, or shell environment space limitation, due to
> running 888 tests on a single command line?

Can you share the reasoning that lets your reach that conclusion from:

> FAIL: tzmap_check_02.ctst

The build directory should be available as an artifact which may contain
more detailed information on the failure.

Have you established that this failure is not a regression?

* Re: [ITA] dateutils
@ 2024-05-21 15:57   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-05-21 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2024-05-21 07:17, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 17/05/2024 06:43, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Date manipulation utilities
>> I would like to adopt the above orphaned package.
> Thanks.
> I added this to your packages.
>> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/dateutils/tree/dateutils.cygport?h=playground
> Please cleanup all the commented out detritus.

Sure!

> What is the reasoning for changing SRC_URI to point to github?  The project
> homepage still points to bitbucket.org for downloads.

They provide the same release tarball on github, and README on both sites state
that "Dateutils are hosted primarily on github:", so I see no reason to use what
appears to be the legacy repo at another site, although I would treat them as
project mirrors if possible.
Looking at latest release downloads they are 50/50 across both sites so far,
although the signature downloads from github are much higher; see:

	https://bitbucket.org/hroptatyr/dateutils/downloads/

https://somsubhra.github.io/github-release-stats/?username=hroptatyr&repository=dateutils&page=1&per_page=100

> "*** Warning: DEPEND is deprecated, use BUILD_REQUIRES instead."
>> Scallywag runs:
>>     https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=dateutils
>> The single test failure is not reproducible standalone, and appears to
>> be a Windows, Cygwin, or shell environment space limitation, due to
>> running 888 tests on a single command line?
> Can you share the reasoning that lets your reach that conclusion from:
>> FAIL: tzmap_check_02.ctst

The original failure log messages from xargs complained about lack of
environment space.

> The build directory should be available as an artifact which may contain more
> detailed information on the failure.

I wish - the test runner is very tidy - just the trs and log.

> Have you established that this failure is not a regression?

Running standalone from test dir with:

	$ make --trace TESTS=tzmap_check_02.ctst V=1 check

passes with all the usual messages - attached.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[-- Attachment #2: tzmap_check_02.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 131 bytes --]

$ find "${root}/lib" "${TZMAP_DIR}/../lib" -name '*.tzmcc' | xargs "${TZMAP}" check
$? 0
PASS tzmap_check_02.ctst (exit status: 0)

[-- Attachment #3: tzmap_check_02.trs --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 82 bytes --]

:test-result: PASS
:global-test-result: PASS
:recheck: no
:copy-in-global-log: no

[-- Attachment #4: test-suite.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 233 bytes --]

   dateutils 0.4.11: test/test-suite.log

# TOTAL: 1
# PASS:  1
# SKIP:  0
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0

.. contents:: :depth: 2

* Re: [ITA] dateutils
@ 2024-05-21 19:41     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-05-21 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2024-05-21 09:57, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2024-05-21 07:17, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 17/05/2024 06:43, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> Date manipulation utilities
>>> I would like to adopt the above orphaned package.
>> Thanks.
>> I added this to your packages.
>>> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/dateutils/tree/dateutils.cygport?h=playground
>> Please cleanup all the commented out detritus.
>
> Sure!
>
>> What is the reasoning for changing SRC_URI to point to github?  The project
>> homepage still points to bitbucket.org for downloads.
>
> They provide the same release tarball on github, and README on both sites state
> that "Dateutils are hosted primarily on github:", so I see no reason to use what
> appears to be the legacy repo at another site, although I would treat them as
> project mirrors if possible.
> Looking at latest release downloads they are 50/50 across both sites so far,
> although the signature downloads from github are much higher; see:
>
>      https://bitbucket.org/hroptatyr/dateutils/downloads/
>
> https://somsubhra.github.io/github-release-stats/?username=hroptatyr&repository=dateutils&page=1&per_page=100
>

>> "*** Warning: DEPEND is deprecated, use BUILD_REQUIRES instead."
>>> Scallywag runs:
>>>     https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=dateutils
>>> The single test failure is not reproducible standalone, and appears to
>>> be a Windows, Cygwin, or shell environment space limitation, due to
>>> running 888 tests on a single command line?
>> Can you share the reasoning that lets your reach that conclusion from:
>>> FAIL: tzmap_check_02.ctst
>
> The original failure log messages from xargs complained about lack of
> environment space.
>
>> The build directory should be available as an artifact which may contain more
>> detailed information on the failure.
>
> I wish - the test runner is very tidy - just the trs and log.
>
>> Have you established that this failure is not a regression?
>
> Running standalone from test dir with:
>
>      $ make --trace TESTS=tzmap_check_02.ctst V=1 check
>
> passes with all the usual messages - attached.

Error message in attached log is:

	xargs: environment is too large for exec

consistent across local and scallywag builds.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry