public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [DEPRECATED] perl distributions
@ 2021-01-30  9:04 Achim Gratz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-01-30  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

The following distributions will no longer be available after the
perl-5.32 release as they have been deprecated upstream:

perl-Gnome2                                  Achim Gratz
perl-Gnome2-Canvas                           Achim Gratz
perl-Gnome2-GConf                            Achim Gratz
perl-Gnome2-Rsvg                             Achim Gratz
perl-Gnome2-VFS                              Achim Gratz
perl-Gnome2-Vte                              Achim Gratz
perl-Gnome2-Wnck                             Achim Gratz
perl-Gtk2                                    Achim Gratz
perl-Gtk2-GladeXML                           Achim Gratz
perl-Gtk2-Notify                             Achim Gratz
perl-Gtk2-SourceView2                        Achim Gratz
perl-Gtk2-Spell                              Achim Gratz
perl-Gtk2-Unique                             Achim Gratz
perl-Gtk2-WebKit                             Achim Gratz

There are no external dependencies to these, so please just mark them as
OBSOLETE.

Further obsoletions:

perl-Win32

The version in perl-5.32 core is up-to-date, so that package no longer
serves a purpose.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [DEPRECATED] perl distributions
@ 2021-01-30 15:21 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-01-30 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 30.01.2021 10:04, Achim Gratz wrote:

> The following distributions will no longer be available after the
> perl-5.32 release as they have been deprecated upstream:
>
> perl-Gnome2                                  Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Canvas                           Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-GConf                            Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Rsvg                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-VFS                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Vte                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Wnck                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2                                    Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-GladeXML                           Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Notify                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-SourceView2                        Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Spell                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Unique                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-WebKit                             Achim Gratz
>
> There are no external dependencies to these, so please just mark them as
> OBSOLETE.
>
> Further obsoletions:
>
> perl-Win32
>
> The version in perl-5.32 core is up-to-date, so that package no longer
> serves a purpose.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Jon,
any objection ?

last time I added OBSOLETE you reversed it.
But maybe as I also moved the package from arch to noarch tree.

Regards
Marco

* Re: [DEPRECATED] perl distributions
@ 2021-01-31 17:15   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-01-31 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> last time I added OBSOLETE you reversed it.
> But maybe as I also moved the package from arch to noarch tree.

There is nothing to do on the release area for these, the old packages
for perl-5.30 can be kept for a while, but there won't be any new ones
for perl-5.32 and later.

@ 2021-02-11 17:08     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-02-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 31/01/2021 17:15, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> last time I added OBSOLETE you reversed it.
>> But maybe as I also moved the package from arch to noarch tree.

Unfortunately, calm currently checks that packages marked as 'OBSOLETE'
are actually obsoleted.

So at the moment, it's ok to make that change in cygwin-pkg-maint, after
obsoletion has happened.

@ 2022-07-09  7:00 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-07-09  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 30.01.2021 10:04, Achim Gratz wrote:

> The following distributions will no longer be available after the
> perl-5.32 release as they have been deprecated upstream:
>
> perl-Gnome2                                  Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Canvas                           Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-GConf                            Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Rsvg                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-VFS                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Vte                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Wnck                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2                                    Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-GladeXML                           Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Notify                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-SourceView2                        Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Spell                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Unique                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-WebKit                             Achim Gratz
>
> There are no external dependencies to these, so please just mark them as
> OBSOLETE.
>
> Further obsoletions:
>
> perl-Win32
>
> The version in perl-5.32 core is up-to-date, so that package no longer
> serves a purpose.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Hi Jon,
how we should manage the obsolescence ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: [DEPRECATED] perl distributions
@ 2022-07-09 12:05   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-07-09 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri, cygwin-apps

On 09/07/2022 08:00, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 30.01.2021 10:04, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>
>> The following distributions will no longer be available after the
>> perl-5.32 release as they have been deprecated upstream:
>>
>> perl-Gnome2                                  Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gnome2-Canvas                           Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gnome2-GConf                            Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gnome2-Rsvg                             Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gnome2-VFS                              Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gnome2-Vte                              Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gnome2-Wnck                             Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gtk2                                    Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gtk2-GladeXML                           Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gtk2-Notify                             Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gtk2-SourceView2                        Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gtk2-Spell                              Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gtk2-Unique                             Achim Gratz
>> perl-Gtk2-WebKit                             Achim Gratz
>>
>> There are no external dependencies to these, so please just mark them as
>> OBSOLETE.

I think these all depend on 'perl5_030' (which is provided by a single
remaining version of perl) or 'perl5_026' (which nothing provides anymore)

Long-term, I think calm should be taught to expire (= move to the vault)
packages which are no longer installable because their requires don't
exist any more.

I'm not sure if you have access the ~cygwin-admin/bin/vault script (note
this takes a shell glob as an argument which should match a specific
package & version, if you want to manually do that...

(I think we need to retain packages there rather than remove them
totally for legal reasons)

>> Further obsoletions:
>>
>> perl-Win32
>>
>> The version in perl-5.32 core is up-to-date, so that package no longer
>> serves a purpose.

This should probably be obsoleted by perl, then?

@ 2023-01-06 13:46 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-01-06 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Achim Gratz

On 30/01/2021 09:04, Achim Gratz wrote:

> The following distributions will no longer be available after the
> perl-5.32 release as they have been deprecated upstream:
>
> perl-Gnome2                                  Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Canvas                           Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-GConf                            Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Rsvg                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-VFS                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Vte                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gnome2-Wnck                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2                                    Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-GladeXML                           Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Notify                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-SourceView2                        Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Spell                              Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-Unique                             Achim Gratz
> perl-Gtk2-WebKit                             Achim Gratz
>
> There are no external dependencies to these, so please just mark them as
> OBSOLETE.

I've vaulted all versions of these packages. Sorry for taking so long to
get around to this.

At the moment, 'OBSOLETE' in cygwin-pkg-maint has a very specific
meaning: the line is simply ignored by calm.

If you just mark a package as OBSOLETE without any other action, calm's
going to warn about an unexpected package in the relarea.

That works in the case when a package has been replaced by something
else, and the historically necessary rearrangement to make the obsoleted
package a sub-package of the package which replaces it has happened. (we
didn't just remove the obsolete package because historically the
obsoletion was recorded in the obsoleted package's metadata).

(There's a whole other set of considerations for packages with the
category '_obsolete', but again I think those are historical artefacts)

I'm not sure what the word is for the status of these packages (but they
are all deprecated upstream, don't have a direct replacement, probably
aren't of any use to anybody, so clearly keeping them around any longer
is pointless...)

* Re: [DEPRECATED] perl distributions
@ 2023-01-06 19:36   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-01-06 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
> I'm not sure what the word is for the status of these packages (but
> they are all deprecated upstream, don't have a direct replacement,
> probably aren't of any use to anybody, so clearly keeping them around
> any longer is pointless...)

When I wrote this originally, there was still the possibility that
someone could reasonably keep the previous Perl version around and then
expect to still have these packages available.  That was my reason for
not wanting to just delete them at that time, anyway.

Regards,
Achim.