public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
Cc: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [ITA] GeoIP, GeoIP-database, geoipupdate
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:38:54 +0100	[thread overview]

On 17/04/2024 00:39, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2024-04-16 13:31, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 13/04/2024 14:09, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> I would like to adopt and revive the above packages with the last
>>> ("unofficial") version of the legacy code committed noted in the
>>> ChangeLog as 1.7.0, and a new upstream source for legacy format free
>>> databases converted when the official current upstream databases are
>>> updated.
>>
>> My very limited, vague understanding was that GeoIP is obsolete and
>> users should move to something newer? What packages do we have that
>> actually depend on this? Are there other ways to update them?
>
> $ cygcheck-dep -nqS libGeoIP1 libmaxminddb0
>   libGeoIP1: is needed for ( GeoIP libdns1104 libdns1105 libdns166
> libdns169 libGeoIP-devel )
>   libmaxminddb0: is needed for ( bind libdns1106 libmaxminddb-devel
> lighttpd-mod_maxminddb )
>
> Looks like older bind used free legacy GeoIP databases, "current" bind
> uses current library and current GeoIP2 databases which require free
> registration to get an API key with limits.
> The new upstream source for free legacy GeoIP databases converts
> upstream GeoIP2 databases and makes them available under its CC-by-4.0
> licence.

The most recent bind package was built with '--without-geoip'.  Does
this need to change back again?

> $ cpm-sum libdns1{6{6,9},10{4,5,6}} | grep
> 'dns\|bind\|maxmind\|GeoIP\|depends:\|ackage:$'
> Package: libdns166
>     depends:
>     cygwin, libGeoIP1, libgssapi_krb5_2, libisc160, libjson-c2, libkrb5_3,
>     rdepends:
>     dnsperf, libbind9_160, libirs160, libisccfg160
>     source package:
>     bind

I guess there's another thread to pull on here.

The code which looks for "old soversions we don't need to keep anymore"
isn't smart enough currently to realize that it can get rid of all of
these old libdns soversions.

Assuming that gets fixed (...), do we still have users?