On 2023-03-16 07:29, Jon Turney wrote: > On 15/03/2023 12:56, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote: >> On 2023-03-14 13:17, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote: >>> On 15/01/2023 12:52, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote: >>>> This has come up in discussion a few times, and is now well overdue, I think. >>>> Python 2.7 is the last python2 version, which was sunsetted on January 1, 2020. >>>> 3) There might also still be some other packages lurking which just install >>>> a script with a shebang containing 'python', and assume that python is >>>> python2. I don't know how we could identify those. >>> The remaining cases of packages which have a dependency on python and/or >>> python2 are either this (packages which contain a python script with a python >>> shebang line), or the other case which I hadn't previously considered - a >>> package which contain an executable or shared library linked with >>> libpython2.7.dll. >>> So, again I need inspect these to determine what should happen to them. >> I'd like to adopt *xlsx2csv* - for an initial build see: > Jari is still the maintainer of record for that package, so I need to give him > an opportunity to reply here. >> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=5607 >> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/playground/commit/?id=af279166a903b526274f8b10264e206fc5010a68 >> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/4419738199 >> The author remains the same but version numbering staggers around then jumps >> to 0.5 and is now up to 0.8.1. >> The manual was a POD file from Jari run thru pod2man for 0.11 from 2010, but >> very outdated now, not to mention using Perl docs for Python modules, so I'm >> rewriting from help2man output to be current, comprehensive, and functional >> with `groff -man`. >> [I use it to get data into portable form, make it threat free, and fake >> spreadsheets for my accountant, if I want to use gvim instead of Gnumeric or >> Libre Office calc! ;^> ] > The critical piece of data I'm missing here is which of these is true: > a) This package contains a script with a python shebang. The current version > doesn't work when python is python3, so an upgrade is needed to continue working > when python2 is removed, or > b) This package contains a script with a python shebang. The current version > will continue to work when python is python3. Unfortunately only a generic cygbuild sh script is supplied with the package - does nothing but complain without some other "magic" script or data! ;^> Jari's Debian 8/9 xlsx2csv releases have been updated to 0.20+20161027 from 0.11+20120814. $ sed 1q xlsx2csv.py #!/usr/bin/env python Does not work with python3, nor after running 2to3 fixes - see attached logs - IANAPythonista Anyway pylint was not useful compared to 2to3 - see attached pylint before and after 2to3 logs compared to 2to3 log. -- Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis Calgary, Alberta, Canada La perfection est atteinte Perfection is achieved non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter not when there is no more to add mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer but when there is no more to cut -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry