public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Christian Franke <Christian.Franke@t-online.de>
To: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>,
	"cygwin-apps@cygwin.com" <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>,
	Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
Subject: Re: [Bug] setup regression
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 13:50:29 +0200	[thread overview]

Jon Turney wrote:
> On 27/09/2022 14:51, Christian Franke wrote:
>> Christian Franke wrote:
>>> I made the false assumption that default_version=empty in
>>> set_action() always implies that the default version is not
>>> accessible. This is not the case for packages selected for
>>> installation before chooser is visible.
>>>
>>> I'm working on a new fix for the "Ctrl+I pressed but current version
>>> is not accessible" case. ...
>>
>> See attached patch. It also fixes the same problem for the "Category"
>> view. Testing shows that the problem only affects the display of the
>> version number as the solver later silently removes such install
>> requests.
>>

>>> The correct logic is already in toggle_action(): Install the most
>>> recent accessible non-test ('naively_preferred') version.
>>>

>> I dropped this idea and aligned Ctrl+I behavior with "Install" from
>> "Category" view instead. Toggle_action() behaves different in such
>> corner cases as it always installs something.
>
> Thanks, I applied both patches.
>
> Do you have a simple way of causing a non-accessible package for
> testing with?

Unfortunately there is only a simple one if the current installation and
cache directory matches some conditions. The "Ignore install requests if
version is not accessible" case appears if:

- "Install from Local Directory" is selected.
- A previous version of a no longer installed package is still in the
cache directory. Otherwise the package would not appear in the chooser.
- The current version of this package is not in the cache directory. The
"Size" column shows "?" for such packages.

Without commit 63a2c90, Ctrl+I or "Install" from "Category" view shows
an empty version in "New" column. The "Install" from "Category" case
could also be reproduced with setup 2.919.

With this commit, the Install request does nothing.