public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* Cygwin 64 bootstrap script
@ 2013-02-13 18:47 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-02-13 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Hi guys,

for those who want to build cross and native toolchains from scratch, I
uploaded a script called "bootstrap.sh" to
ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/

This is basically the same script we use internally to build the
toolchains.  After download you have to take a look at the start of the
script, since you have to do a bit of ground work to get the script
running.  You have to create all the source directories in the first
place and then set the paths in the script header accordingly.

Btw.,today I found that mintty and strip both crash when using a Cygwin
DLL compiled with optimization.  If you have fun to track down the
problem (which could be a gcc problem as well as a Cygwin problem), feel
free.  I'd be glad to get some help here.

Anyway, if you just want to play with the self-built DLL, just enter the
$MY_BUILDDIR/newlib_winsup/x86_64-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin dir, rm *.o,
make CFLAGS=-g, and then use that DLL for playing.

Hope that helps,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Cygwin 64 bootstrap script
@ 2013-02-14  3:51 ` Yaakov
From: Yaakov @ 2013-02-14  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:47:02 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> for those who want to build cross and native toolchains from scratch, I
> uploaded a script called "bootstrap.sh" to
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/

FYI, cygwin-to-cygwin64 cross-compiler packages with your latest patches
are being uploaded to Ports right now:

cygwin64
cygwin64-binutils
cygwin64-gcc-core
cygwin64-gcc-g++
cygwin64-libtool
cygwin64-w32api-headers
cygwin64-w32api-runtime
cygwin64-zlib

Yaakov

* Re: Cygwin 64 bootstrap script
@ 2013-02-14 10:14   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-02-14 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Feb 13 21:51, Yaakov wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:47:02 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > for those who want to build cross and native toolchains from scratch, I
> > uploaded a script called "bootstrap.sh" to
> > ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/
>
> FYI, cygwin-to-cygwin64 cross-compiler packages with your latest patches
> are being uploaded to Ports right now:
>
> cygwin64
> cygwin64-binutils
> cygwin64-gcc-core
> cygwin64-gcc-g++
> cygwin64-libtool
> cygwin64-w32api-headers
> cygwin64-w32api-runtime
> cygwin64-zlib

Wow, cool.  Thumbs up.

@ 2013-02-14 19:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-02-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Feb 13 19:47, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> for those who want to build cross and native toolchains from scratch, I
> uploaded a script called "bootstrap.sh" to
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/
>
> This is basically the same script we use internally to build the
> toolchains.  After download you have to take a look at the start of the
> script, since you have to do a bit of ground work to get the script
> running.  You have to create all the source directories in the first
> place and then set the paths in the script header accordingly.
>
> Btw.,today I found that mintty and strip both crash when using a Cygwin
> DLL compiled with optimization.  If you have fun to track down the
> problem (which could be a gcc problem as well as a Cygwin problem), feel
> free.  I'd be glad to get some help here.

FYI, I just applied a patch to the Cygwin DLL to fix the problem, so
mintty and strip work with an optimized DLL now.  Given the place and
the nature of the bug, I'm rather puzzled that my other executables
didn't seem to be affected.

For those of you not building their own Cygwin DLL, I'll upload a new
binary micro distro package soon.

@ 2013-02-14 23:57   ` Peter Rosin
From: Peter Rosin @ 2013-02-14 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On 2013-02-14 04:51, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:47:02 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> for those who want to build cross and native toolchains from scratch, I
>> uploaded a script called "bootstrap.sh" to
>> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/
>
> FYI, cygwin-to-cygwin64 cross-compiler packages with your latest patches
> are being uploaded to Ports right now:

I tried your cross-compiler, and wonder if the below is expected?

Cheers,
Peter

$ uname -srvmo
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.17(0.262/5/3) 2012-10-19 14:39 i686 Cygwin
$ cat t.c
int main(void) { return 0; }
$ x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc -o t t.c
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/4.8.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -ladvapi32
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/4.8.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -lshell32
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/4.8.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -luser32
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/4.8.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -lkernel32
$ x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc -o t t.c -L/usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/sys-root/usr/lib/w32api
$

* Re: Cygwin 64 bootstrap script
@ 2013-02-15  2:20     ` Yaakov
From: Yaakov @ 2013-02-15  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 00:57:31 +0100, Peter Rosin wrote:
> I tried your cross-compiler, and wonder if the below is expected?

No, its not.  I just uploaded the following updates:

cygwin64-binutils-20130213-1
cygwin64-20130214-1

Yaakov