On Oct 8 13:14, Christopher Faylor wrote: > On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 11:31:24AM -0500, Reini Urban wrote: > >In http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-07/msg00406.html > >Corinna hinted that pthread_barrier is a bit hard to implement. > > > >I found 2 nice non-GPL implementations, but I'm not sure about the license. > >There's one in libuv (which I need it for), which is > >https://github.com/joyent/libuv/blob/master/src/unix/pthread-fixes.c > >provided by Sony and Google (for Android), which seems to be MIT licensed. > > This one is problematic since it seems like we'd have to include the license > when we distribute the DLL. (Shhhh... I know...) > > >And there's http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bvs/cs267_hw2/particles/pthread_barrier.c > >without any license, looks it's some berkeley course material. > > > >Doesn't look too hard to implement. > >Should I ask the berkeley guy Brian Van Straalen > >or is the libuv version good enough for us? > > Code without a license isn't any better than code with a license. If > you can get someone to assert that the Berkeley code is in the public > domain that would help. Otherwise, I don't think either of these are > viable options. Isn't Berkeley code always BSD licensed? I'm just dreaming of a perfect world, I guess... > Perhaps someone could describe the implementations to someone who could > implement them from scratch. That would be the safest way to do this > I think. Indeed, and in fact the problem is not that there isn't code around which already implements pthread_barrier stuff, the problem is that none of that matches the existing, C++ for extremists pthread code in Cygwin. That's what I was silently implying when I wrote the aforementioned mail. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat