public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* tty.cc and fhandler/tty.cc
@ 2022-11-22  8:31 Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-11-22  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Current cygwin git master has two tty.cc, one is winsup/cygwin/tty.cc
and the other is winsup/cygwin/fhandler/tty.cc (it was originally
fhandler_tty.cc). This is somewhat confusing.

fhandler/tty.cc is defining fhandler_pty_{common,master,slave} class,
so, what about renaming fhandler/tty.cc to fhandler/pty.cc?

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: tty.cc and fhandler/tty.cc
@ 2022-11-22  9:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-11-22  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Nov 22 17:31, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Current cygwin git master has two tty.cc, one is winsup/cygwin/tty.cc
> and the other is winsup/cygwin/fhandler/tty.cc (it was originally
> fhandler_tty.cc). This is somewhat confusing.
>
> fhandler/tty.cc is defining fhandler_pty_{common,master,slave} class,
> so, what about renaming fhandler/tty.cc to fhandler/pty.cc?

Maybe we could split it up.  The extern functions could go into
syscalls.cc and the tty classes could go into fhandler/termios.cc,
perhaps.  There are already two tty_min methods in that file.

What do you think?

Corinna

* Re: tty.cc and fhandler/tty.cc
@ 2022-11-22  9:50   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-11-22  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Nov 22 10:36, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 22 17:31, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > Current cygwin git master has two tty.cc, one is winsup/cygwin/tty.cc
> > and the other is winsup/cygwin/fhandler/tty.cc (it was originally
> > fhandler_tty.cc). This is somewhat confusing.
> >
> > fhandler/tty.cc is defining fhandler_pty_{common,master,slave} class,
> > so, what about renaming fhandler/tty.cc to fhandler/pty.cc?
>
> Maybe we could split it up.  The extern functions could go into
> syscalls.cc and the tty classes could go into fhandler/termios.cc,
> perhaps.  There are already two tty_min methods in that file.

If we don't split, maybe something like tty_helper.cc would be more
feasible?  tty.cc mainly implements the tty/tty_min classes and at least
the latter is used for consoles, too.  Pty.cc might be a bit misleading

Corinna

* Re: tty.cc and fhandler/tty.cc
@ 2022-11-22 22:46   ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-11-22 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:36:28 +0100
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 22 17:31, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > fhandler/tty.cc is defining fhandler_pty_{common,master,slave} class,
> > so, what about renaming fhandler/tty.cc to fhandler/pty.cc?
>
> Maybe we could split it up.  The extern functions could go into
> syscalls.cc and the tty classes could go into fhandler/termios.cc,
> perhaps.  There are already two tty_min methods in that file.
>
> What do you think?

It looks good alternative.

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:50:46 +0100
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> If we don't split, maybe something like tty_helper.cc would be more
> feasible?  tty.cc mainly implements the tty/tty_min classes and at least
> the latter is used for consoles, too.  Pty.cc might be a bit misleading

Well, I meant
winsup/cygwin/tty.cc
and
winsup/cygwin/fhandler/pty.cc
.

Not
winsup/cygwin/pty.cc
and

@ 2022-11-23  9:08     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-11-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Nov 23 07:46, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:36:28 +0100
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Nov 22 17:31, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > > fhandler/tty.cc is defining fhandler_pty_{common,master,slave} class,
> > > so, what about renaming fhandler/tty.cc to fhandler/pty.cc?
> >
> > Maybe we could split it up.  The extern functions could go into
> > syscalls.cc and the tty classes could go into fhandler/termios.cc,
> > perhaps.  There are already two tty_min methods in that file.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> It looks good alternative.
>
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:50:46 +0100
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > If we don't split, maybe something like tty_helper.cc would be more
> > feasible?  tty.cc mainly implements the tty/tty_min classes and at least
> > the latter is used for consoles, too.  Pty.cc might be a bit misleading
>
> Well, I meant
> winsup/cygwin/tty.cc
> and
> winsup/cygwin/fhandler/pty.cc
> .
>
> Not
> winsup/cygwin/pty.cc
> and
> winsup/cygwin/fhandler/tty.cc

Oh, right!  Yeah, that makes perfect sense!

Thanks,
Corinna

* Re: tty.cc and fhandler/tty.cc
@ 2022-11-24  8:24       ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-11-24  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:08:11 +0100
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 23 07:46, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > Well, I meant
> > winsup/cygwin/tty.cc
> > and
> > winsup/cygwin/fhandler/pty.cc
> > .
>
> Oh, right!  Yeah, that makes perfect sense!

Then, which is better solution?

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Maybe we could split it up.  The extern functions could go into
> syscalls.cc and the tty classes could go into fhandler/termios.cc,
> perhaps.  There are already two tty_min methods in that file.

or renaming fhandler/tty.cc?

What do you think?

--

@ 2022-11-24 10:18         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-11-24 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Nov 24 17:24, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:08:11 +0100
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Nov 23 07:46, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > > Well, I meant
> > > winsup/cygwin/tty.cc
> > > and
> > > winsup/cygwin/fhandler/pty.cc
> > > .
> >
> > Oh, right!  Yeah, that makes perfect sense!
>
> Then, which is better solution?
>
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:36:28 +0100
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > Maybe we could split it up.  The extern functions could go into
> > syscalls.cc and the tty classes could go into fhandler/termios.cc,
> > perhaps.  There are already two tty_min methods in that file.
>
> or renaming fhandler/tty.cc?

Renaming fhandler/tty.cc to fhandler/pty.cc is the better solution,
I think.

Corinna

* Re: tty.cc and fhandler/tty.cc
@ 2022-11-24 10:56           ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-11-24 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 11:18:27 +0100
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 24 17:24, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:36:28 +0100
> > Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > > Maybe we could split it up.  The extern functions could go into
> > > syscalls.cc and the tty classes could go into fhandler/termios.cc,
> > > perhaps.  There are already two tty_min methods in that file.
> >
> > or renaming fhandler/tty.cc?
>
> Renaming fhandler/tty.cc to fhandler/pty.cc is the better solution,
> I think.

Ok, I will submit a patch for that shortly.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>