public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-27 22:43 Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-02-27 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

The OpenAFS 1.7.x release series is implemented as a native Windows File
System Redirector.   Microsoft has assigned

  IO_REPARSE_TAG_OPENAFS_DFS              0x00000037L

which is used to identify three types of objects as reparse points.

1. AFS Mount Points.  An AFS mount point is a directory entry which
   refers to the root directory of another volume in the AFS name
   space.

2. AFS Symlinks.  An AFS Symlink behaves similar to a Posix symlink.
   It can be either relative or absolute and can refer to any other
   object in the file system.  An object that is a symlink to a
   directory will report FILE_ATTR_DIRECTORY and
   FILE_ATTR_REPARSE_POINT.  A symlink to any other object will report
   just the FILE_ATTR_REPARSE_POINT flag.

   Unlike a Posix symlink, an AFS symlink can include a component
   whose tail is "@sys" which when evaluated will be replaced with
   a string selected from an ordered list of "system names".

3. AFS UNC Redirection.  This object refers to an arbitrary UNC path
   that does not have to be in the AFS name space.

All reparse points are transparently handled by the file system.
However, as documented by Microsoft

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365682%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

functions including:

  GetFileAttributes
  GetFileAttributesEx
  GetFileSecurity
  FindFirstFile
  FindFirstFileEx
  FindNextFile

will always return information about the reparse point object and not
the target.  As Cygwin at the present time is unaware of the behavior of
the AFS reparse points, it discards them.  However, this can result in
confusing behavior for applications and end users which are confused by
output that conflicts with that which would be obtained by

  fh = CreateFile(path)
  GetFileInformationByHandleW(fh, BasicInfo)
  CloseHandle(hf)

I am seeking an experienced Cygwin developer to work with me to add
knowledge of AFS reparse points to the code base.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Altman
OpenAFS Gatekeeper

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28  4:30 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-02-28  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:43:21PM -0500, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>The OpenAFS 1.7.x release series is implemented as a native Windows File
>System Redirector.   Microsoft has assigned

Sorry but this mailing list isn't intended to be a place where you
advertise your needs.  If you want to contribute to Cygwin that's great.
If you have questions about the code, ask away.

First please demonstrate that you've taken at least a modicum of time
to understand the code.

cgf

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28  4:54   ` Jeffrey Altman
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-02-28  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Christopher,

The request is for a developer to assist.  I am more than capable of
providing code.  As a contributor to open source projects for more than
25 years I am not going to make assumptions about how those who have
developed and maintained Cygwin want the software to behave.

In addition, although I've sent Red Hat a contributor letter I do
not intend to be an active contributor to the project on a long term
basis.  I have enough responsibilities on my plate with OpenAFS, Heimdal
Kerberos and Network Identity Manager.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Altman

P.S. - The anoncvs service access described at

  http://cygwin.com/cvs.html

is currently not working.

@ 2013-02-28  5:08     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-02-28  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On 2/28/2013 5:54 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> P.S. - The anoncvs service access described at
>
>    http://cygwin.com/cvs.html
>
> is currently not working.

Hi Jeffrey,
just try again later, recently the server seems overloaded
and the service availability is a bit random

it worked 3 minutes ago, and not worked 1 minute ago

Regards
Marco

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28  5:15       ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-02-28  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On 2/28/2013 12:07 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey,
> just try again later, recently the server seems overloaded
> and the service availability is a bit random
>
> it worked 3 minutes ago, and not worked 1 minute ago
>
> Regards
> Marco

Thanks Marco.

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28  5:52     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-02-28  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:54:22PM -0500, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>The request is for a developer to assist.  I am more than capable of
>providing code.  As a contributor to open source projects for more than
>25 years I am not going to make assumptions about how those who have
>developed and maintained Cygwin want the software to behave.

If you are looking for pointers on where to start, look at the
fhandler*.cc files and path.cc/path.h.  If you have some suggestions
on how you'd like to add the functionality we can provide pointers.

And, although they are out-of-date, the how-*-works.txt files in
the cygwin directory may provide some information.

>P.S. - The anoncvs service access described at
>
>  http://cygwin.com/cvs.html
>
>is currently not working.

I see that Marco has suggested that you were experiencing the anonymous
cvs restriction which kicks in when sourceware load average is too high.

If that isn't the case, you'll need to provide more details.

cgf

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28  9:04       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-02-28  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Feb 28 00:52, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:54:22PM -0500, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> >The request is for a developer to assist.  I am more than capable of
> >providing code.  As a contributor to open source projects for more than
> >25 years I am not going to make assumptions about how those who have
> >developed and maintained Cygwin want the software to behave.
>
> If you are looking for pointers on where to start, look at the
> fhandler*.cc files and path.cc/path.h.  If you have some suggestions
> on how you'd like to add the functionality we can provide pointers.

The core routine is symlink_info::check_reparse_point in path.cc.

Actually, Cygwin always opens files with FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT
and then, if it *is* a reparse point, it reads the contents of the
reparse point and expects it to be of type IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK
or IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT.  Those are handled as symlinks.
Other types are not recognized and the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT
attribute is deleted from the DOS attributes.  The later file open
call in fhandler.cc will omit the FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT flag from
the open flags, so it will open the file transparently via the
reparse redirector.

But there's a chance that this doesn't happen in all circumstances as
expected.  As a first cut, look for usage of FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT and
the usage of the path_conv::is_rep_symlink method thoughout fhandler*.cc
and syscalls.cc.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28 11:53         ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-02-28 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

> The core routine is symlink_info::check_reparse_point in path.cc.
>
> Actually, Cygwin always opens files with FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT
> and then, if it *is* a reparse point, it reads the contents of the
> reparse point and expects it to be of type IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK
> or IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT.  Those are handled as symlinks.
> Other types are not recognized and the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT
> attribute is deleted from the DOS attributes.  The later file open
> call in fhandler.cc will omit the FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT flag from
> the open flags, so it will open the file transparently via the
> reparse redirector.
>
> But there's a chance that this doesn't happen in all circumstances as
> expected.  As a first cut, look for usage of FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT and
> the usage of the path_conv::is_rep_symlink method thoughout fhandler*.cc
> and syscalls.cc.

Thank you Corinna.

In my initial e-mail I pointed to an MSDN document which describes the
inconsistent behavior of the Win32 API with regards to reparse points.
The key thing to take away from that is that regardless of what the
application (in this case Cygwin) wants, FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT will be
included in the underlying CreateFile() call for operations such
as

  GetFileAttributes[Ex]
  GetFileSecurity
  Directory enumeration

I believe the rational is that these functions should be fast and should
not block if the reparse point target is located "far away"
or perhaps "offline" in a hierarchical storage management system.

One side effect of this for Cygwin is that reported sizes of objects in
the "ls -l" output is incorrect.  For example, ti.exe is a symlink to a
file stored in AFS.

  11/01/2012   0:27     <SYMLINK>    ti.exe
  [\afs\your-file-system.com\public\jaltman\TI_TAV_5.0_EN_Full.exe]

The actual size of the target object is:

  3/26/2012  20:32     103,103,720  TI_TAV_5.0_EN_Full.exe

but Cygwin lists it as:

  -rwxr-xr-x 1 jaltman None       63 Nov  1 01:27 ti.exe

where 63 bytes is the size of the reparse point data not the target.  If
Cygwin is going to discard FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT, then it must
also resolve the target attributes when collecting stat info.

This can be done by opening the file with CreateFile(path, no
FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT) and then using GetFileInformationByHandle().

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364952%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I don't know if this is a behavior that the Cygwin community wants to
alter.  It is certainly confusing to end users and potentially breaks
applications which believe a file is smaller than it is.  However,
resolving reparse targets can be very expensive in some cases.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Altman

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28 12:03           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-02-28 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Feb 28 06:52, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> > The core routine is symlink_info::check_reparse_point in path.cc.
> >
> > Actually, Cygwin always opens files with FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT
> > and then, if it *is* a reparse point, it reads the contents of the
> > reparse point and expects it to be of type IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK
> > or IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT.  Those are handled as symlinks.
> > Other types are not recognized and the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT
> > attribute is deleted from the DOS attributes.  The later file open
> > call in fhandler.cc will omit the FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT flag from
> > the open flags, so it will open the file transparently via the
> > reparse redirector.
> >
> > But there's a chance that this doesn't happen in all circumstances as
> > expected.  As a first cut, look for usage of FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT and
> > the usage of the path_conv::is_rep_symlink method thoughout fhandler*.cc
> > and syscalls.cc.
>
> Thank you Corinna.
>
> In my initial e-mail I pointed to an MSDN document which describes the
> inconsistent behavior of the Win32 API with regards to reparse points.
> The key thing to take away from that is that regardless of what the
> application (in this case Cygwin) wants, FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT will be
> included in the underlying CreateFile() call for operations such
> as
>
>   GetFileAttributes[Ex]
>   GetFileSecurity
>   Directory enumeration

Did you look into the code?  Cygwin doesn't use WIn32 functions to
access the file system.  It uses the underlying native NT functions.

> but Cygwin lists it as:
>
>   -rwxr-xr-x 1 jaltman None       63 Nov  1 01:27 ti.exe
>
> where 63 bytes is the size of the reparse point data not the target.  If
> Cygwin is going to discard FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT, then it must
> also resolve the target attributes when collecting stat info.

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28 12:24             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-02-28 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Feb 28 13:02, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 28 06:52, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> > On 2/28/2013 4:03 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > > The core routine is symlink_info::check_reparse_point in path.cc.
> > >
> > > Actually, Cygwin always opens files with FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT
> > > and then, if it *is* a reparse point, it reads the contents of the
> > > reparse point and expects it to be of type IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK
> > > or IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT.  Those are handled as symlinks.
> > > Other types are not recognized and the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT
> > > attribute is deleted from the DOS attributes.  The later file open
> > > call in fhandler.cc will omit the FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT flag from
> > > the open flags, so it will open the file transparently via the
> > > reparse redirector.
> > >
> > > But there's a chance that this doesn't happen in all circumstances as
> > > expected.  As a first cut, look for usage of FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT and
> > > the usage of the path_conv::is_rep_symlink method thoughout fhandler*.cc
> > > and syscalls.cc.
> >
> > Thank you Corinna.
> >
> > In my initial e-mail I pointed to an MSDN document which describes the
> > inconsistent behavior of the Win32 API with regards to reparse points.
> > The key thing to take away from that is that regardless of what the
> > application (in this case Cygwin) wants, FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT will be
> > included in the underlying CreateFile() call for operations such
> > as
> >
> >   GetFileAttributes[Ex]
> >   GetFileSecurity
> >   Directory enumeration
>
> Did you look into the code?  Cygwin doesn't use WIn32 functions to
> access the file system.  It uses the underlying native NT functions.
>
> > but Cygwin lists it as:
> >
> >   -rwxr-xr-x 1 jaltman None       63 Nov  1 01:27 ti.exe
> >
> > where 63 bytes is the size of the reparse point data not the target.  If
> > Cygwin is going to discard FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT, then it must
> > also resolve the target attributes when collecting stat info.
>
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

Btw.  The right thing to do here is not to tweak stat or any other API
call.  The right thing to do is to fix symlink_info::check_reparse_point
to recognize the AFS reparse point and treat it as a symlink, just like
the IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK and IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT types.
The returned path should be a Cygwin-compatible POSIX path pointing to
the real file.  In your above example, Cygwin's ls should handle
ti.exe as a symlink to the AFS file.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28 12:30             ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-02-28 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

> Did you look into the code?  Cygwin doesn't use WIn32 functions to
> access the file system.  It uses the underlying native NT functions.

As you know, Win32 functions are thin wrappers on the Nt functions.  The
behavior exhibited by Cygwin is the same.  Either Cygwin is replicating
the behavior of the Win32 functions or the choice of always accessing
the reparse point information is provided by the Nt functions.

For someone with a working build environment and a debugger it would be
fairly simple to step through the code.  I'm not yet at the point of
having a working Cygwin build environment.

While I am not 100% sure, I suspect the issue is that the attribute
information returned from NtQueryDirectoryFile is used (minus the
removal of the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT flag).  What needs to happen
is that when the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT flag is removed the target
object must be opened and the FILE_STANDARD_INFO and FILE_INTERNAL_INFO
must be obtained.

Jeffrey Altman

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28 12:36               ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-02-28 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

> Btw.  The right thing to do here is not to tweak stat or any other API
> call.  The right thing to do is to fix symlink_info::check_reparse_point
> to recognize the AFS reparse point and treat it as a symlink, just like
> the IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK and IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT types.
> The returned path should be a Cygwin-compatible POSIX path pointing to
> the real file.  In your above example, Cygwin's ls should handle
> ti.exe as a symlink to the AFS file.

Corinna,

There are two issues here.

1. Adding support for AFS Reparse Tag Data.

2. Fixing Cygwin to do the right thing for other file systems that
   Cygwin does not recognize.

I already have rough code that adds the AFS Reparse Tag Data.  Although
it has neither been compiled nor tested.

I haven't looked at the second issue.  I have simply been describing it
as the motivation for wanting to do the first.

Jeffrey Altman

* anoncvs access was Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-02-28 12:38       ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-02-28 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On 2/28/2013 12:52 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I see that Marco has suggested that you were experiencing the anonymous
> cvs restriction which kicks in when sourceware load average is too high.

Christopher,

My issue was the anoncvs restriction.  After dozens of repeated attempts
I was able to checkout the repository.  It would be helpful if the
limitation was documented in the FAQ or on the cvs.html page.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Altman

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-03-05 18:22     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-03-05 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Hi Jeffrey,

On Feb 27 23:54, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> The request is for a developer to assist.  I am more than capable of
> providing code.  As a contributor to open source projects for more than
> 25 years I am not going to make assumptions about how those who have
> developed and maintained Cygwin want the software to behave.
>
> In addition, although I've sent Red Hat a contributor letter [...]

Your CA arrived and is signed.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-03-10  5:59       ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-03-10  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

> Your CA arrived and is signed.
>
> Thanks,
> Corinna

Thanks Corinna,

I have built the cvs head as of this afternoon.  "make check" in
build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/ cannot complete:

make[1]: Entering directory
`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin'
make[1]: Entering directory
`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `dataascii.o', needed by `libltp.a'.
 Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite'
Makefile:109: recipe for target `check' failed
make: *** [check] Error 2

However, I have tested the build product with the attached patch.  Feel
free to adjust the formatting, comments, etc.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Jeffrey Altman

[-- Attachment #2: cygwin-afsredir.patch --]
[-- Type: application/mbox, Size: 4372 bytes --]

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-03-10  6:50         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-03-10  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:59:14AM -0500, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>On 3/5/2013 1:21 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>> Your CA arrived and is signed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Corinna
>
>Thanks Corinna,
>
>I have built the cvs head as of this afternoon.  "make check" in
>build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/ cannot complete:
>
>make[1]: Entering directory
>`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin'
>make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>make[1]: Leaving directory
>`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin'
>make[1]: Entering directory
>`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite'
>make[1]: *** No rule to make target `dataascii.o', needed by `libltp.a'.
> Stop.
>make[1]: Leaving directory
>`/cygdrive/d/src/cygwin.cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite'
>Makefile:109: recipe for target `check' failed
>make: *** [check] Error 2
>

>However, I have tested the build product with the attached patch.  Feel
>free to adjust the formatting, comments, etc.
>
>Do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Could you reformat that without the MS-DOS line endings.

cgf

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-03-10 13:09           ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-03-10 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On 3/10/2013 1:50 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> Do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
>
> Could you reformat that without the MS-DOS line endings.
>
> cgf

Here is the same file after running 'dos2unix' on it.

[-- Attachment #2: cygwin-afsredir.patch --]
[-- Type: application/mbox, Size: 4237 bytes --]

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-03-10 19:19             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-03-10 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 09:09:42AM -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>On 3/10/2013 1:50 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>> Do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
>>
>> Could you reformat that without the MS-DOS line endings.
>
>Here is the same file after running 'dos2unix' on it.

Sorry to nickel and dime you, but convention is to use unified diff
format when submitting patches.  I should have mentioned that before.

From what I can see, your changes don't follow the indentation
convention of the code around it, i.e., the changes in path.h
seem to use four spaces for indentation.

cgf

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-03-10 20:35               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-03-10 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Mar 10 15:19, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Could you reformat that without the MS-DOS line endings.
> >
> >Here is the same file after running 'dos2unix' on it.
>
> Sorry to nickel and dime you, but convention is to use unified diff
> format when submitting patches.  I should have mentioned that before.
>
> >From what I can see, your changes don't follow the indentation
> convention of the code around it, i.e., the changes in path.h
> seem to use four spaces for indentation.

A ChangeLog entry would be helpful, too.

This is all nicely described on http://cygwin.com/contrib.html
under the "When you have finalized your changes" section.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Seeking developer to assist with adding OpenAFS Reparse Tag Support to Cygwin
@ 2013-03-10 20:43                 ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2013-03-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

> On Mar 10 15:19, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Here is the same file after running 'dos2unix' on it.
>>
>> Sorry to nickel and dime you, but convention is to use unified diff
>> format when submitting patches.  I should have mentioned that before.
>>
>> >From what I can see, your changes don't follow the indentation
>> convention of the code around it, i.e., the changes in path.h
>> seem to use four spaces for indentation.
>
> A ChangeLog entry would be helpful, too.

Please consider converting to 'git' and deploying 'gerrit' for code
review.  You will find it makes not only your only life happier but make
it make easier on flyby contributors.

> This is all nicely described on http://cygwin.com/contrib.html
> under the "When you have finalized your changes" section.

I will read.