public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: AF_UNIX status report
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 17:40:17 -0500	[thread overview]

On 11/7/2020 5:25 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-developers wrote:

>>> The only example of pipe client impersonation I can find in the Cygwin code
>>> is in fhandler_pty_master::pty_master_thread.  Is this a good model to
>>> follow?  If not, can you point me to other examples somewhere?
>>>
>>> AFAICT, the only reason for the impersonation is to check that the client
>>> has appropriate permissions before trying to duplicate handles from the
>>> server process to the client process.  Is that right?  What would go wrong
>>> if we didn't check this?  Is the issue that the client process would have
>>> handles that it can't access?
>>
>> Maybe I'm overthinking this.  A typical scenario for SCM_RIGHTS
>> involves a privileged and an unprivileged process.  The privileged
>> process sends an fd to the unprivileged process.  In this case the
>> sending process has admin rights anyway and can duplicate the handles
>> into the receiving process without having to impersonate.
>>
>> Either way, if both processes are running under the same user, or at
>> least one of the processes has admin rights, no impersonation is
>> required.  But since we don't know if the admin process is the sender or
>> the receiver, both sides must be capable of duplicating the handles.
>>
>> So, only if both processes are unprivileged, we would need to
>> impersonate.  This will almost always fail, unless both processes have
>> been started from (for instance) the same ssh session or one of the user
>> accounts has the SeImpersonatePrivilege privilege.
>>
>> Maybe we should just skip the latter scenario for a start.
>
> Good!  That way I don't have to get sidetracked learning about impersonation.
>
> Here's another issue involving serialization.  I'm not sure it's enough to just
> fiddle with the handles and then send the fhandler.  We also need to send the
> strings that are in the path_conv member of the fhandler.  [I just noticed that
> you added path_conv serialization/deserialization recently, which should help
> with this.]  This increases the size of the data to the point where I think we
> need to send more than one packet when we're sending SCM_RIGHTS.
>
> Alternatively, instead of trying to send the fhandler and string(s) over the
> socket, we could store a copy of the fhandler, along with the serialized pc, in
> a named shared memory block.  The name could be something like
> "scm_rights.<installation_key>.<device>.<inode>".  Then the sender would only
> have to send the device and inode, and the receiver could open the shared memory
> and reconstruct everything.

Apart from this annoying issue of packets being too long, here's how I imagine
serialization/deserialization working.  All the code below is untested and
probably full of errors, but I hope it gives the idea.  Note: get_size() below
is the virtual method that I called size() in an earlier message.

struct fh_flat
{
   fhandler_union fhu;
   size_t name_len;
   char data[0];
};

/* Prerequisites: Modify fhandler_*::dup to take an optional winpid
    argument specifying the process into which we want to duplicate
    handles.  Similarly modify dtable::dup_worker.  */
void *
serialize (int fd, DWORD winpid, size_t &len)
{
   fh_flat *fhf;
   size_t nlen = 0;
   cygheap_fdget cfd (fd);

   if (cfd < 0)
     {
       set_errno (EBADF);
       len = 0;
       return NULL;
     }
   /* Make a copy of the fhandler with handles duplicated for winpid. */
   fhandler_base *copy = cygheap->fdtab->dup_worker (cfd, 0, winpid);
   if (copy->get_name ())
     nlen = strlen (copy->get_name ()) + 1;
   len = sizeof (fh_flat) + nlen;
   fhf = (fh_flat *) cmalloc (HEAP_FHANDLER, len);
   if (!fhf)
     {
       set_errno (ENOMEM);
       len = 0;
       return NULL;
     }
   memcpy (&fhf->fhu, copy, copy->get_size ());
   fhf->name_len = nlen;
   if (nlen)
     strcpy (fhf->data, copy->get_name ());
   return fhf;
}

/* Return new fd, or -1 on error. */
int
deserialize (void *bufp)
{
   fh_flat *fhf = (fh_flat *) bufp;
   cygheap_fdnew cfd;

   if (cfd < 0)
     return -1;
   /* Create an fhandler of the right derived class. */
   device dev = ((fhandler_base) fhf->fhu).dev ();
   fhandler_base *fh = build_fh_dev (dev);
   if (!fh)
     {
       debug_printf ("build_fh_dev failed");
       return -1;
     }
   memcpy (fh, &fhf->fhu, fh->get_size ());
   fh->set_name (fhf->data);
   cfd = fh;
   return cfd;
}