public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* Status of ptsname()
@ 2022-04-18 18:20 Felipe Gasper
From: Felipe Gasper @ 2022-04-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Hello,

	libuv fails to compile on Cygwin; it chokes when trying to use ptsname(), which apparently Cygwin’s stdlib.h doesn’t define.

	`man ptsname` gives the impression that Cygwin implements this function. Since that doesn’t seem to be the case, should the man pages be updated to reflect reality?

	It’s worth noting that ptsname() is on this list as well: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-api/compatibility.html

	Thank you!

cheers,
-Felipe Gasper

* Re: Status of ptsname()
@ 2022-04-18 19:09 ` Z. Majeed
From: Z. Majeed @ 2022-04-18 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers, Felipe Gasper

 man ptsname says to define _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500. I found that -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 works
I've built libuv on cygwin before - it defined _GNU_SOURCE which also works

@ 2022-04-18 19:21   ` Felipe Gasper
From: Felipe Gasper @ 2022-04-18 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Z. Majeed; +Cc: cygwin-developers

> On Apr 18, 2022, at 15:09, Z. Majeed <zmajeed@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> man ptsname says to define _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500. I found that -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 works

Interesting … Cygwin’s own `man ptsname` doesn’t show that--on my system, at least?--though macOS’s does.

Or do I somehow have an outdated Cygwin man-pages?

-F

* Re: Status of ptsname()
@ 2022-04-18 21:15 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-04-18 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 19:21, Felipe Gasper wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         libuv fails to compile on Cygwin; it chokes when trying to use ptsname(), which apparently Cygwin’s stdlib.h doesn’t define.

This is the cygwin-developers mailing list, for folk developing the
Cygwin library itself, not people doing development that uses Cygwin
or its APIs. Please follow the problem reporting guidelines at
https://cygwin.com/problems.html, and contact the regular Cygwin
mailing list with questions / queries / bug reports.

* Re: Status of ptsname()
@ 2022-04-18 21:39   ` Felipe Gasper
From: Felipe Gasper @ 2022-04-18 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Dinwoodie; +Cc: cygwin-developers

> On Apr 18, 2022, at 17:16, Adam Dinwoodie <adam@dinwoodie.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 19:21, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>        libuv fails to compile on Cygwin; it chokes when trying to use ptsname(), which apparently Cygwin’s stdlib.h doesn’t define.
>
> This is the cygwin-developers mailing list, for folk developing the
> Cygwin library itself, not people doing development that uses Cygwin
> or its APIs. Please follow the problem reporting guidelines at
> https://cygwin.com/problems.html, and contact the regular Cygwin
> mailing list with questions / queries / bug reports.

Oops, I was under the impression that documentation and bugs in implementation of standard C interfaces was appropriate here.

I’ll repost in the regular list. Sorry for the noise.

-F