public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* Questions about syscalls.cc
@ 2022-08-04 14:08 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-08-04 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-devel

1. Now that we're no longer building newlib's stdio64, am I right that we no
longer need to export aliases for _open64, _lseek64, _fstat64_r, and _stat64_r?

2. Do we need all those defines at the beginning of syscalls.cc?  I *think* I
understand the reason for the ones beginning with underscore: We don't want
newlib's prototypes for these functions because we're exporting aliases rather
than defining functions.  Right?  But what about fstat, lstat, pread, and
pwrite?  And why is stat different?

Ken

* Re: Questions about syscalls.cc
@ 2022-08-04 15:32 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-08-04 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Aug  4 10:08, Ken Brown wrote:
> 1. Now that we're no longer building newlib's stdio64, am I right that we no
> longer need to export aliases for _open64, _lseek64, _fstat64_r, and
> _stat64_r?

Yes, thanks, I pushed a patch.

> 2. Do we need all those defines at the beginning of syscalls.cc?  I *think*
> I understand the reason for the ones beginning with underscore: We don't
> want newlib's prototypes for these functions because we're exporting aliases
> rather than defining functions.  Right?  But what about fstat, lstat, pread,
> and pwrite?  And why is stat different?

I'm not sure why stat is different and I'm actually rather fuzzy
as to why these masking macros were required at all.  Along the
same lines I'm not sure they are needed anymore at all.  Let me
check...

Corinna

* Re: Questions about syscalls.cc
@ 2022-08-04 18:34   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-08-04 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On Aug  4 17:32, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug  4 10:08, Ken Brown wrote:
> > 1. Now that we're no longer building newlib's stdio64, am I right that we no
> > longer need to export aliases for _open64, _lseek64, _fstat64_r, and
> > _stat64_r?
>
> Yes, thanks, I pushed a patch.
>
> > 2. Do we need all those defines at the beginning of syscalls.cc?  I *think*
> > I understand the reason for the ones beginning with underscore: We don't
> > want newlib's prototypes for these functions because we're exporting aliases
> > rather than defining functions.  Right?  But what about fstat, lstat, pread,
> > and pwrite?  And why is stat different?
>
> I'm not sure why stat is different and I'm actually rather fuzzy
> as to why these masking macros were required at all.  Along the
> same lines I'm not sure they are needed anymore at all.  Let me
> check...

I dropped them all.  They don't serve a purpose anymore.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Corinna