public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: The unreliability of AF_UNIX datagram sockets
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 10:30:38 -0400	[thread overview]

> On May  3 16:50, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> I thought about that but rejected it for the following reason: Suppose
>>> the receiver reads a message and tries to rewrite it with modified
>>> header, shortened payload, and bumped priority.  The sender might have
>>> already written more messages between the read and the write, and the
>>> queue could be full.
>>>
>>> Now that I'm rethinking this, however, maybe we could get around that
>>> problem with an internal _mq_lock function that would block senders
>>> while the receiver decides whether it needs to do a partial read.
>>
>> Alternatively, _mq_recv could accept an _MQ_LOCK flag, which means "don't
>> release the mutex", and then there could be an _mq_unlock function, which
>> simply releases the mutex.
>
> That's an idea.  However, I think this is something we can push back for
> now, and ultimately we can use any of the above solutions which makes most
> sense.  Implemanting a defered unlock if required is not much of a problem.

I've begun working on an mqueue-based implementation of AF_UNIX sockets, on a
new topic/af_unix_mq branch.  I've implemented accept and connect and lightly
tested them, and I've implemented sendmsg (not yet tested).  I'll start on
recvmsg next, and then I'll be able to test sending/receiving.

While working on sendmsg, I thought of another useful thing that the mqueue code
could provide: an internal _mq_send function that returns EPIPE if no one has
the mqueue open for reading.  This plays the role of the STATUS_PIPE_IS_CLOSED
macro in the pipe implementation.

Ken