public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
* Licensing conditions: a question
@ 2006-01-18 11:51 fergus
From: fergus @ 2006-01-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-licensing; +Cc: fergus

Please can you offer some guidance about the requirements of the supplier of
a piece of software that uses Cygwin to run?

Circumstance 1
==============

I am so good and kind that my software is free. Ask me for it and I'll give
it to you (or you can download it from my site) with instructions on how to
use it. By the way, it needs cygwin1.dll to run (and might or might not need
or at least benefit from other parts of the Cygwin provision, eg rxvt).

Requirement 1
=============

	* make available the sources for the software

and one of

	* invite interested parties to visit Cygwin to (minimal) get
cygwin1.dll or (more sophisticated) download and install some/ all of the
entire provision

or

	* supply Cygwin setup and all sources on CD or DVD

Circumstance 2
==============

Almost identical to (1) except my software is not free: you can get it from
me in exchange for cash. As before, it needs cygwin1.dll to run (and might
or might not need or at least benefit from other parts of the Cygwin
provision, eg rxvt).

Requirement 2

This is not at all clear to me. Is Requirement 2 unchanged from Requirement
1 or does the supplier have to engage in a legal contract with Cygwin
authorities, and does this contract entail the transfer of funds from said
supplier to said Cygwin authorities?

Thank you.

Fergus