public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
From: "Tevfik Karagülle" <tevfik@itefix.no>
To: <cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com>
Subject: 1NIWGYC.DLL ??
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:19:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

I maintain two free packages containing essential cygwin elements:

- COPSSH - OpenSSH Client and Server for Windows (2,7 MB) - http://itefix.no/copssh
- CWRSYNC - Rsync Client and Server for Windows (2,6 MB) - http://itefix.no/cwrsync

My goal is to make openssh and rsync easily available on windows, in form of small specialized
installers (I use http://nsis.sourceforge.net at the moment)

Sources of all GPL software used in those packages are available from the same web-site as binaries
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/sereds).

As you can guess easily, there is an irritation moment here: possibility of cygwin1.dll conflicts.
My installers produce warnings if cygwin or something else dependent on cygwin is already installed
on the target machine. However, It is tempting to find an ultimate solution to this problem:
renaming dlls and registry references. I have tested and verified that it is technically possible.

Part of cygwin licensing addressing cygwin1.dll says: " Note that this does not apply to the cygwin
DLL itself. If you distribute a (possibly modified) version of the DLL you must adhere to the terms
of the GPL, i.e. you must provide sources for the cygwin DLL."

My licensing question is: Would it be a license infringement if I distribute free packages with
renamed dlls and registry references ?

Best regards

Tevfik Karagülle
Senior Consultant