public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
* Re: GPLv3
@ 2007-07-02  7:29 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-07-02  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Blake; +Cc: cygwin-apps, cygwin-licensing

Eric Blake wrote:

> tar 1.18 was just released, and is one of the first GNU packages that
> requires GPLv3 or later.  Meanwhile, cygwin is explicit in requiring
> exactly GPLv2.  According to the GPLv3 FAQ, http://gplv3.fsf.org/dd3-faq,
> it is NOT okay for a GPLv3 program to link against a GPLv2-only library.
> So, what is the consensus - am I allowed to upload tar 1.18, or is cygwin
> forevermore stuck at tar 1.17 as the last GPLv2 release, because of the
> fact that building an image of tar 1.18 linked against cygwin1.dll
> constitutes a license violation?

Remember that the Cygwin license includes an OSI exemption, so as long
as GPLv3 is eventually OSI certified (as if...) it's fine on the Cygwin
side.  I don't know about the other direction though.

Brian

* GPLv3
@ 2007-07-02  7:29 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-02  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, cygwin-licensing

* Re: GPLv3
@ 2007-07-02  7:30   ` Eric Blake
       [not found]     ` <4687B75A.9020700-PGZyUNKar/Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-02  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-licensing; +Cc: cygwin-apps

From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-02  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, cygwin-licensing

* RE: GPLv3
       [not found]                       ` <46898FC2.6020703@users.sourceforge.net>
@ 2007-07-03  7:28                         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-07-03  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-licensing; +Cc: 'Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)'

On 03 July 2007 00:53, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

[ Thread TITTLL'd.  CC'ing you just once to let you know. ]

> While wrt GPLv3 software I agree that this is purely hypothetical and
> certainly soon to be moot (when OSI certifies GPLv3), one could conceive
> another case which would be relevant and possibly damaging to RH:
>
> 1) 3PP distributes clearly non-FOSS software depending on Cygwin (either
> w/o Cygwin itself or with Cygwin and sources).
>
> 2) RH sues 3PP for violation of Cygwin license.
>
> 3) Defendant successfully argues that "complies with" != "certified",
> and continues with elaborate explanation how his license supposedly
> complies with OSI definition.
>
> 4) Court (or, worse yet, uneducated, uninformed, layman jury) falls for
> defendant's hot air.
>
> While I'm certain RH has excellent lawyers and this argument would be
> well fought, this "subjective judgement", as you put it, could make this
> problematic, or just unnecessary difficult (and expensive) at best.

  Of course, this is a general legal principle: if it comes to court, everyone
has lost already (except the lawyers).  But the generic principles of contract
law are fairly clear: as long as RH aren't irrational or wildly unreasonable
in their decision on whether or not it 'complies', it's up to them and their
definition, because they're the people you're in contract with.

  I've worked in computer games in the past.  The contract always comes with a
clause that allows the publisher to reject the game if it is not up to a
'satisfactory' standard, or to demand fixes and improvements without extra
payment.  The judgement of what is 'satisfactory' is, to a very great degree,
whatever the publishers say does or does not satisfy them; unless they are
hugely and blatantly unreasonable, the court will let them set their own
standards, because those are the standards you agreed to when you signed up to
the contract.

    cheers,
      DaveK