public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
From: Marvin <tbglosthope@yahoo.co.uk>
To: cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Where are the licence texts for each package?
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:12:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Thanks for your time answering, I appreciate that OSS is donated to
the community and is usually supported by volunteers, and am grateful
for all such software, but by not clearly advertising its licenses
Cygwin makes it hard for people and corporations who wish to use the
software and respect the licenses.

Corrina wrote:
>> Is there any definitive way to view precisely what licenses Cygwin
>> and it's packages are shipped under?

>The definitve way is to look into the sources.

He-he - I have to read the source to find the license so that I can
find if I'm allowed to download and use the binaries?
There's a chicken and egg problem there.

I'm asking where the licenses are so I can get legal approval
to download and use the binary software. I've already been expressly
forbidden to download or read any open source code (I'd have thought this was standard practice for any software house that didn't release
everything under OSS licenses).

>> Specifically is there any official clarification of the
>> "X11 style copyright"?   The link from http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-what-licenses-apply
>> is broken.

> The X license is available via the Open Source Group, like other approved
> licenses: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

Thanks but that's titled the "MIT license" - it's not an official looking
explanation of what "X11 style copyright" is used.

I'll point the lawyers at this to try to explain the discrepancy
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#X11License

Again thanks for your time.

Not happy with your email address?.