public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
* Bundling cygrunsrv with stand-alone projects
@ 2004-10-14  9:24 Soeren Nils Kuklau
From: Soeren Nils Kuklau @ 2004-10-14  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-licensing

Hi,

we're working on a cross-platform server daemon which on Windows gets
compiled through Cygwin. To make installation convenient for Windows
users, we would like to bundle `cygwin1.dll' and the necessary files for
`cygrunsrv' with our Windows port. Before we try and implement that on
our side, however, we would like to know about the licensing implications.

The project is `non-commercial' (as in 1) our primary purpose isn't to
make big bucks off it and 2) it is available for download at no cost)
and `open-source' (as in there's an issue tracker, and we will probably
allow anonymous SVN access to the source as the project becomes more
stable), but not under a GPL-compatible license.

I also found rather little documentation on `cygrunsrv'. The bundled
README file comprehensively lists possible arguments, but appears to
assume that the daemon to be run is inside the Cygwin root directory
(such as C:\Cygwin), whereas we believe it would make more sense to
distribute our package for installation inside Windows' Program Files
folder. Does `cygrunsrv' understand Windows-like paths, or can we rely
on a `/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/'-like path structure?

Thanks in advance for pointers,
--
Soeren 'Chucker' Kuklau