public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
Cc: Steve Duquette <sad@bdal.com>
Subject: Re: YA Licensing question
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Disclaimer:  I'm not a lawyer.  If you want to be on the safe side
license-wise, consider to ask a lawyer specialized in software
licensing questions for legal advice.

Having said that...

On Dec  3 09:42, Steve Duquette wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have looked through your FAQ's, read the GPL at least a
> thousand times, Googled this question to death, and finally read every
> one of the entries in the cygwin-licensing mailing list, but just can't
> seem to find my  exact case.
>
> 	I am wondering if we could just install Cygwin on to the PCs we
> ship as part of a larger system so that we can use the NFS server. We
> need NFS because another part of the system is Linux based (diskless)
> and needs to connect to the Windows host.

Why don't you just use the SMB client which is usually part of the Linux
kernel anyway?  This allows to connect to Windows machines without the
requirement to install Cygwin and an NFS client on the Windows side.

You don't have to reply to this question, it's just a hint that there
are other, simpler solutions available.

> 	We don't compile anything against Cygwin, we just would run
> nfsd, portmap, and mountd.
> 	Would we be legal to ship these systems with Cygwin preinstalled
> on them?

If you're installing Cygwin only to run other OSS software, like the NFS
server, you're fine, *iff* you ship the source code of the Cygwin tools
to your customers as well.  It's definitely *not* enough to point them
to the Cygwin homepage.  By shipping GPL software you're responsible to
provide your customer with the exact sources needed to rebuild the GPLed
software.

Corinna

Red Hat