public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
* The term _linking_ in the licence
@ 2005-06-16 15:23 David E. Meier
From: David E. Meier @ 2005-06-16 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-licensing

Hi list,

I am confused about the GPL licence. Both suggested sites for reading
before posting to this list about licencing only mention 'linking' with
other programs.

I face the following siuation:

I have written a program in C# that makes use of tools like ssh, rsync and
some bash shell built-ins. The C# program is the main .exe and does not
link to any of the GPL-programs while building and therefore the C# binary
does not contain any cygwin code. The GPL-exe's are called as system calls
at runtime via the cmd.exe.

Does the C# program need to be redistributed under the GPL as well?

Dave

* Re: The term _linking_ in the licence
@ 2005-06-16 15:41 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David E. Meier; +Cc: cygwin-licensing

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, David E. Meier wrote:

> I am confused about the GPL licence. Both suggested sites for reading
> before posting to this list about licencing only mention 'linking' with
> other programs.
>
> I face the following siuation:
>
> I have written a program in C# that makes use of tools like ssh, rsync and
> some bash shell built-ins. The C# program is the main .exe and does not
> link to any of the GPL-programs while building and therefore the C# binary
> does not contain any cygwin code. The GPL-exe's are called as system calls
> at runtime via the cmd.exe.
>
> Does the C# program need to be redistributed under the GPL as well?

AIUI -- no.  Linking usually involves the linked parts running in the same
memory space, while fork/exec (used by system()) loads the program in a
separate memory space.  But IANAL, and you can always say YANALATEYHSMBSI.

There's also the GPL FAQ which contains an answer to this exact question,
IIRC.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* RE: The term _linking_ in the licence
@ 2005-06-16 16:30 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I am confused about the GPL licence. Both suggested sites for reading
> before posting to this list about licencing only mention 'linking' with
> other programs.
>
> I face the following siuation:
>
> I have written a program in C# that makes use of tools like ssh, rsync and
> some bash shell built-ins. The C# program is the main .exe and does not
> link to any of the GPL-programs while building and therefore the C# binary
> does not contain any cygwin code.

  Bear in mind there's also such a thing as runtime linking... If you
LoadLibrary ("cygwin1.dll") and GetProcAddress a function and call it, that
counts as linking and your app must be GPL'd.

>The GPL-exe's are called as system calls at runtime via the cmd.exe.
>
> Does the C# program need to be redistributed under the GPL as well?

  However, as Igor said, as long as the executables and process spaces are
completely separate, you will have no problem.  The GPL spreads out within a
single process space, but it is not conveyed across IPC mechanisms!

  And also, bear in mind that if you're distributing the ssh/rsync/bash
binaries along with your app, you need to provide (or offer to provide) the
sources for them.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: The term _linking_ in the licence
@ 2005-06-17  8:40   ` David E. Meier
From: David E. Meier @ 2005-06-17  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-licensing

Hi Dave and Igor,

thanks for answering my question. That cleared it up.

Dave