public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* "Make me a hipporoo"
@ 2006-02-15 11:48 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-02-15 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'What goes
	wheeeeeeeeeeKERTHUMPSPLAT----BOING---wheeeeeeeeeeeKERTHUMPSPLAT--BOING--wheeeeeeeeKERTHUMPSPLATBOING.....?'

  OK, you're a hipporoo:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg18925381.300

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: "Make me a hipporoo"
@ 2006-02-15 13:47 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-02-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk 'why should I subscribe?' List

* RE: "Make me a hipporoo"
@ 2006-02-15 14:47   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-02-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'But what if the hipporoo won't wear the beach thong?'

On 15 February 2006 13:47, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Dave Korn on 2/15/2006 4:48 AM:
>>
>>   OK, you're a hipporoo:
>>
>> http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg18925381.300
>
> What's up with the "subscribe to read the rest of this article"?

  Yeh, but it's a hippo AND it's a kangeroo[*].  That's got to be cool.

>  Beyond
> the title, I can only guess that 'hipporoo' is not mentioned until part of
> the 2274 words not visible beyond the first 150 displayed...

  What, is your imagination so poor that you need to actually /see/ a hipporoo
in order to believe?  Oh ye of little faith!

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] I wonder if it could polish my floor?

* Re: "Make me a hipporoo"
@ 2006-02-17 14:37   ` Owen Rees
From: Owen Rees @ 2006-02-17 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

--On Wednesday, February 15, 2006 06:47:18 -0700 Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Dave Korn on 2/15/2006 4:48 AM:
>>
>>   OK, you're a hipporoo:
>>
>> http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg18925381.300
>
> What's up with the "subscribe to read the rest of this article"?  Beyond
> the title, I can only guess that 'hipporoo' is not mentioned until part of
> the 2274 words not visible beyond the first 150 displayed...

I did not notice hipporoo mentioned anywhere apart from the title when I
read the article this morning but that is not saying much - I missed the
whole article on my first pass through the magazine.

--
Owen Rees
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK

* RE: "Make me a hipporoo"
@ 2006-02-17 15:52     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-02-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'are you going to buy that or are you just going to stand
	around reading all day...?  (silly question. if i was going to
	buy it would i be standing here reading still?)'

On 17 February 2006 14:37, Owen Rees wrote:

> --On Wednesday, February 15, 2006 06:47:18 -0700 Eric Blake wrote:
>
>> According to Dave Korn on 2/15/2006 4:48 AM:
>>>
>>>   OK, you're a hipporoo:
>>>
>>> http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg18925381.300
>>
>> What's up with the "subscribe to read the rest of this article"?  Beyond
>> the title, I can only guess that 'hipporoo' is not mentioned until part of
>> the 2274 words not visible beyond the first 150 displayed...
>
> I did not notice hipporoo mentioned anywhere apart from the title when I
> read the article this morning

  Well, it just goes to show:  Dyson sucks...

> but that is not saying much - I missed the
> whole article on my first pass through the magazine.

  I missed the whole article on my first pass through the newsagent, but I'll
try and read it next time.

  Ah, hooray for big newsagents chains where you can stand around and read
half the magazine before anyone even notices.  What with all the government
cuts over the last couple of decades our public libraries aren't what they
used to be, but at least WHSmiths can fill the gap....

    cheers,
      DaveK