public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
From: Barry Walker <wisecracker@tesco.net>
To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List <cygwin-talk@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Redstone 3 Creators Update for Windows 10 -- cygwin killer?
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 20:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi all...

> > http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-creators-update-adds-lots-of-new-bashwsl-features/

> So you expect that the Linux Subsystem is about to take over Cygwin?  Or
> you feel that Windows is about to just be another distribution of Linux
> with a different Windows version?  Does that really destroy Cygwin or
> does it destroy Windows?  MS has just awakened to the fact that Linux is
> taking over the entire world of computing?

I think MS has a fair idea about the UNIX like environment from yesteryear:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix

Is CygWin going to suffer? For the foreseeable future, probably not. But MS
does have intimate knowledge about undocumented parts of its proprietary OS that
it keeps hidden from public eyes and could well be of use in making everything
*NIX like run _much_ more quickly than through CygWin. Who knows?

--
Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.