public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
       [not found] <OF9041F6ED.C08BF3D0-ON652571D3.0033FEC8-652571D3.0035C7FD@tcs.com>
@ 2006-08-23 14:14 ` Sam Robb
From: Sam Robb @ 2006-08-23 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sujit.menon; +Cc: cygwin-talk

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 15:17 +0530, sujit.menon@tcs.com wrote:
> Your explanantion has a racist overtone.

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/dysfunction.jpg

-Samrobb

* RE: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 23:18           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-24 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'secret hippo'

On 24 August 2006 23:36, One Angry User wrote:

> On a hot Thursday, the 24th day of August, 2006, Dave Korn's computer
> deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
>> On 24 August 2006 20:14, One Angry User wrote:
>>

>>> Are there really hippos in those countries?
>>
>>   Clealy, sir, hace mjade an off-topic poast :)
>
> What dialect is that?

  Old High Ljutefisk Viking Meow.

>>> There is probably one in the Hong Kong zoo...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/harlw
>
> Like I said, "zoo".
>
>>   *sip* <g>
>
> Did you just make up a rule?  Or is it "any excuse for a sip"? :-)

  Well, I couldn't pass by a bar called the Hippo Bar without stopping in for
a bit, now could I?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 22:55             ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-08-24 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a hot Thursday, the 24th day of August, 2006, mwoehlke's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> One Angry User wrote:
> > On a hot Thursday, the 24th day of August, 2006, Dave Korn's computer
> > deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/harlw
> >
> > Like I said, "zoo".
> >
> > >   *sip* <g>
> >
> > Did you just make up a rule?  Or is it "any excuse for a sip"? :-)
>
> I think that's the "every time you pass a bar, go in for a drink" rule. :-)

Does that mean that lawyers only get to drink at most 50 times in their
lives?  Or do they have to re-certify?  I doubt it...

OAU

* Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 22:43           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-24 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. --Badtech

* Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 22:38       ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-08-24 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a hot Thursday, the 24th day of August, 2006, George's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:52:35AM -0400, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, George wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe someone can check the CIA Fact Book and draw some inferences as to
> > > how the unravelling of Pax Britannica affected the local hippo
> > > populations of these countries.
> >
> > The CIA Fact Book contains data on hippo populations?
>
> Niger (yellow cake) -> Africa (hippos) -> Iraq -> Weapons of Mass Destruction
>
> You don't think it was just men of Arabic ancestry with beards getting on
> airplanes they were on the lookout for?
>
> The odd thing is I just checked the CIA website and there's no trace of
> any hippo data.  Maybe they don't want us to know they're [REDACTED]
> [REDACTED] collecting [REDACTED]!~*&^---- NO CARRIER

Yesterday upon the stair
I met a hippo who wasn't there.
It wasn't there again today --
I think it works for the CIA.

OAU

* RE: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 22:36         ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-08-24 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a hot Thursday, the 24th day of August, 2006, Dave Korn's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> On 24 August 2006 20:14, One Angry User wrote:
>
> > On a hot Thursday, the 24th day of August, 2006, Dave Korn's computer
> > deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> >> http://www.britishempire.co.uk/timeline/20century.htm

Oh, and just noticed -- the British empire has its own web site?
Progressive, aren't they? :-)

Reminds me of "the sun never set over the British Empire, because the sun
sets in the West and the British Empire was in the East"...

> >> 1962: Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, ... and Western Samoa
> >> 1964: ... Malta
> >> 1970: Fiji and Tonga
> >> 1973: Bahamas
> >> 1976: Seychelles
> >> 1978: Dominica
> >> 1979: Gilbert Islands/Kiribati
> >
> > Are there really hippos in those countries?
>
>   Clealy, sir, hace mjade an off-topic poast :)

What dialect is that?

> >> 1997: Hong Kong
> >
> > There is probably one in the Hong Kong zoo...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/harlw

Like I said, "zoo".

@ 2006-08-24 21:01     ` George
From: George @ 2006-08-24 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '1066 and all that'

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 08:08:47PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 24 August 2006 14:00, George wrote:
>
> > Off the top of my head the only other countries I can think of are
> > Singapore and Malaysia, Burma, Cyprus, Jamaica, The Countries Formerly
> > Known as Rhodesia, and Nigeria.  Kenya, I think gained independence
> > after 1947.  Britain also gave up rule of Palestine around that time
> > after the locals started blowing up their buildings.
>
> http://www.britishempire.co.uk/timeline/20century.htm

I should have checked on Google and saved myself the effort, but I went
to school or had friends with people who emmigrated from most of those
countries.  That's the nice thing about the Commonwealth-ish countries:
everyone learns the words to God Save the Queen (catchy tune, actually),
begins their life in an educational institution where the dress code
mandates a blue blazer with insignia, and where most everyone around you
is a really strange foreigner who's ... just like you.  Or, at the very
least, drinks the same beer.

That said, the original poster no doubt had some issues.  Given the
current state of the Indian economy, he should be glad the French or
worse, the Dutch, hadn't colonised his country.

--
George

* Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 20:33     ` George
From: George @ 2006-08-24 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2006-08-24 19:41       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'you need a licence to import hippos into hong kong
	(http://www.customs.gov.hk/eng/advice_advice_e.html)'

@ 2006-08-24 19:14     ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-08-24 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2006-08-24 19:08   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-24 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '1066 and all that'

On 24 August 2006 14:00, George wrote:

> Off the top of my head the only other countries I can think of are
> Singapore and Malaysia, Burma, Cyprus, Jamaica, The Countries Formerly
> Known as Rhodesia, and Nigeria.  Kenya, I think gained independence
> after 1947.  Britain also gave up rule of Palestine around that time
> after the locals started blowing up their buildings.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/timeline/20century.htm

1948: Ceylon, Burma
1957: British Togoland/Gold Coast/Ghana, Malay states.
1960: British Somaliland, Nigeria
1961: Sierra Leone, Tanganyika and British Cameroons
1962: Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda and Western Samoa
1963: Kenya and Zanzibar
1964: Northern Rhodesia/Zambia; Nyasaland/Malawi; Malta
1965: Southern Rhodesia
1966: Botswana, Lesotho and Gambia
1967: Aden
1968: Mauritius and Swaziland
1970: Fiji and Tonga
1971: Bahrain and Qatar
1973: Bahamas
1974: Grenada
1975: Papua New Guinea
1976: Seychelles
1978: Dominica
1979: Gilbert Islands/Kiribati
1980: New Hebrides/Vanunu; Zimbabwe
1981: Belize
1984: Brunei
1997: Hong Kong

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 15:52   ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-24 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, George wrote:

> Maybe someone can check the CIA Fact Book and draw some inferences as to
> how the unravelling of Pax Britannica affected the local hippo
> populations of these countries.

The CIA Fact Book contains data on hippo populations?  These guys really
have nothing to do, don't they?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)
@ 2006-08-24 13:00 ` George
From: George @ 2006-08-24 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 02:20:23PM +0530, antony baxter wrote:
> ---8<--   snip  -->8----
>
> > INDIA
> > (the great country who kicked out the Britishers
> > out of thier land and the rest had the guts to do it
> > only after we did it)
>
> So, I'll admit that history is not my strong point, but I'm struggling
> to think of anyone who kicked us (we?) "Britishers" out *after* the
> Indians did. How many countries have become independent of British
> rule since 1947?
>
> Antony

Canada is one.  In a sortofkindof way.  We're too sociable to bother
with revolutions, but independent enough to insist on our own flag.
IIRC, the Queen is still head of state, but constitutional control now
resides with the national government.

The defining symbol of independence was the replacing of the Queen's
likeness on national currency with that of various mammals and
waterfowl.  Hardly impressive, and possibly laughable, but notable given
what's occurred in many countries that have shrugged off the Evils Of
Colonial Rule.  My guess is that the citizens of Canada and India still
pass the day happily drinking English tea.

@ 2006-08-24  8:50 antony baxter
From: antony baxter @ 2006-08-24  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk