public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 12:03 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-11-14 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Maybe I knew that there was a cygwin newsgroup at some point in the
distant past but its existence came as a surprise to me this morning
nonetheless.

It seems rather rude that this would be created without discussion in
the official cygwin forum but I guess that's par for the course.  Few
people who use cygwin seem to have a clue.

cgf

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 14:54 ` George
From: George @ 2006-11-14 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:03:39AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Maybe I knew that there was a cygwin newsgroup at some point in the
> distant past but its existence came as a surprise to me this morning
> nonetheless.
>
> It seems rather rude that this would be created without discussion in
> the official cygwin forum but I guess that's par for the course.  Few
> people who use cygwin seem to have a clue.

Could be worse.

alt.binaries.cygwin.bundles
alt.binaries.cygwin.cygcheck
alt.binaries.cygwin.old.versions
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.acronyms
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.acronyms.new
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.alt.flame.infoterror
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.batch.file.tips
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.line.endings
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.nabble.comp.cygwin.nabble.nabble.windows
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.posix.paths.advocacy
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.registry
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.this.doesnt.work
alt.comp.windows.cygwin.winsock.hackers

Or maybe not.

--
George

* RE: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 17:10   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-11-14 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cgf should know better than to let anything on usenet raise
	his blood pressure!'

On 14 November 2006 14:55, George wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:03:39AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Maybe I knew that there was a cygwin newsgroup at some point in the
>> distant past but its existence came as a surprise to me this morning
>> nonetheless.
>>
>> It seems rather rude that this would be created without discussion in
>> the official cygwin forum but I guess that's par for the course.  Few
>> people who use cygwin seem to have a clue.

  I don't think anyone needs to check in here for permission to discuss cygwin
in a forum of their own devising.  Consider it a fork!

> Could be worse.
>
> alt.binaries.cygwin.bundles
> alt.binaries.cygwin.cygcheck
> alt.binaries.cygwin.old.versions
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.acronyms
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.acronyms.new
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.alt.flame.infoterror
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.batch.file.tips
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.line.endings
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.nabble.comp.cygwin.nabble.nabble.windows
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.posix.paths.advocacy
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.registry
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.this.doesnt.work
> alt.comp.windows.cygwin.winsock.hackers
>
> Or maybe not.

  Oh, it's the alt.* heirarchy.  The founding principle of alt.* is "Anyone
can newgroup".

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 17:52     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-11-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '!dronf!'

On 14 November 2006 17:10, Dave Korn wrote:

  Sorry, I got a typo:

>   Oh, it's the alt.* heirarchy.  The founding principle of alt.* is "Anyone
> can newgroup".

  Actually, of course, the founding principle of alt.* is "Meow meow Henrietta
Pussycat meow meow meow The Presidents of the United States of America meow
Kitty?".

  That, plus what must by now be *terabytes* of copyright violations.  ;-)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 19:30     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-11-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:09:58PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 14 November 2006 14:55, George wrote:
>>On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:03:39AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>Maybe I knew that there was a cygwin newsgroup at some point in the
>>>distant past but its existence came as a surprise to me this morning
>>>nonetheless.
>>>
>>>It seems rather rude that this would be created without discussion in
>>>the official cygwin forum but I guess that's par for the course.  Few
>>>people who use cygwin seem to have a clue.
>
>I don't think anyone needs to check in here for permission to discuss
>cygwin in a forum of their own devising.  Consider it a fork!

Nobody has to do anything.  You can do anything you want within the laws
of physics up until some policeman takes notice and stops you.

That doesn't mean that it isn't rude.

Normally when this kind of thing happens there is a call for discussion.
If that happened in this case, I'd have to wonder where the discussion
occurred.

cgf

* RE: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 20:44       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-11-14 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'fluffy is teh owner of usenut'

On 14 November 2006 19:30, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:09:58PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:

>> I don't think anyone needs to check in here for permission to discuss
>> cygwin in a forum of their own devising.  Consider it a fork!
>
> Nobody has to do anything.  You can do anything you want within the laws
> of physics up until some policeman takes notice and stops you.

  I once got arrested for breaking Newton's first law of motion.

> That doesn't mean that it isn't rude.
>
> Normally when this kind of thing happens there is a call for discussion.
> If that happened in this case, I'd have to wonder where the discussion
> occurred.

  You've got something there, it appears to be an unofficial group that's
sneaked into the big8 somehow.  There's no sign of it anywhere on ftp.isc.org.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 21:46 ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2006-11-14 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> It seems rather rude that this would be created without discussion in
> the official [cfg-controlled/moderated] cygwin forum
---
     CFG calling something rude ?         Um... Isn't that a bit like:
     pot    "         "    black?

:-)

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-14 22:56   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-11-14 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 01:46:24PM -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>It seems rather rude that this would be created without discussion in
>>the official [cfg-controlled/moderated] cygwin forum

Whether I "control" the cygwin list or not does not matter.  It *is* the
official mailing list for the project and it should have been notified
when the group was created.

It is not a big deal, really.  I just don't relish having another
channel for people to offer clueless advice to each other which will
have to be rectified in the cygwin list.  It just means potentially more
"work" for Larry, Igor, Matthew, Dave, Brian, Eric, Corinna, etc.

>CFG calling something rude ?         Um... Isn't that a bit like:
>pot    "         "    black?

I made a bet with myself that someone would make that hilarious
observation.

(It's CGF by the way)

There are various forms of rudeness.  Some would say that an unprovoked
pot shot was not particularly civil.

cgf

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-15  5:53     ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2006-11-15  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> CFG calling something rude ?         Um... Isn't that a bit like:
>> pot    "         "    black?
>>
> I made a bet with myself that someone would make that hilarious
> observation.
>
> (It's CGF by the way)

dang -- not the first time that's tripped me up.
> There are various forms of rudeness.  Some would say that an unprovoked
> pot shot was not particularly civil.

                                 ^^^^^
Um, this is, the cygtalk "_Maiming_" list is it not?

But FWIW, I think I heard your bet on a psnydkic level so I had
to respond...

:-)

* RE: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-15 10:13     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-11-15 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'wasn't me i didn't do it'

On 14 November 2006 22:56, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> There are various forms of rudeness.  Some would say that an unprovoked
> pot shot was not particularly civil.

  Heh, some would call that "a zinger"!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-15 11:59       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-11-15 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 10:13:20AM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 14 November 2006 22:56, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>There are various forms of rudeness.  Some would say that an unprovoked
>>pot shot was not particularly civil.
>
>Heh, some would call that "a zinger"!

There's a whole lot of psychic going around.

cgf

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-20 21:07   ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2006-11-20 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Linda Walsh wrote:

>     CFG calling something rude ?

Context-Free Grammar? Wow, now that's a rude description of *CGF*..

* Re: A cygwin newsgroup?
@ 2006-11-21 16:25     ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-11-21 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Shankar Unni wrote:

> Linda Walsh wrote:
>
> >     CFG calling something rude ?
>
> Context-Free Grammar? Wow, now that's a rude description of *CGF*..

Don't you people know that CGF stands for "computer-generated forms"?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"