public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: suggestion (was Re: 1.7.7: Localization does not follow the language of the OS)
       [not found]         ` <4D2DB29D.7010406@gmx.de>
@ 2011-01-13 13:08           ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2011-01-13 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk, 'Matthias Andree'

Matthias Andree sent the following at Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:55 AM

>Am 12.01.2011 11:55, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
>>> export LANG="$(locale -uU)"    # (or -sU for system default locale)
>>
>> It's just another way to express the same.  Backticks are not obsolete.
>> The backtick style is exactly as much POSIX as the $() style.  See
>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.ht
>> ml#tag_18
>>
>> Other than that, this isn't a mailing list about programming style.
>
>Try mixing backticks with quoting and blanks, or try nesting them,
>and then you'll know it's not about style but pretty much about
>functionality, hence, obsolete (whether it's labeled as such in the
>standard or not - there is a better alternative).
>
>If it were equivalent, I hadn't posted this. It isn't.

Actually, I would argue that sometimes they are equivalent and sometimes
they are not.  Think of it like physics.  Newtonian mechanics and
relativity are different.  Relativity always gives the correct answer and
Newtonian mechanics doesn't always do so, but we still use the older form
when it does.

So if one wants to use something that always works, use $().  But when
`command` works, there is no reason not to use it if one wants to.
Personally, I still use backticks fairly often.
  (1) On my keyboard, they are significantly easier to type than $().
  (2) It is a habit; $() did not exist when I started to learn scripting.

Best wishes,

- Barry

* Re: suggestion (was Re: 1.7.7: Localization does not follow the language of the OS)
@ 2011-01-13 13:29             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-01-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Jan 13 08:07, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> So if one wants to use something that always works, use $().  But when

I disagree, see below...

> `command` works, there is no reason not to use it if one wants to.
> Personally, I still use backticks fairly often.
>   (1) On my keyboard, they are significantly easier to type than $().
>   (2) It is a habit; $() did not exist when I started to learn scripting.

I use them almost exclusively on the command line, for the simple reason
that I'm using tcsh, which doesn't know the $() syntax.  Therefore, from
*my* point of view as a tcsh user, "if one wants to use something that
always works, use backticks ;)

Corinna

* Re: suggestion (was Re: 1.7.7: Localization does not follow the language of the OS)
@ 2011-01-13 15:49             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-01-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 08:07:20AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>Matthias Andree sent the following at Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:55 AM

>>> It's just another way to express the same.  Backticks are not obsolete.
>>> The backtick style is exactly as much POSIX as the $() style.  See
>>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.ht
>>> ml#tag_18
>>>
>>> Other than that, this isn't a mailing list about programming style.
>>
>>Try mixing backticks with quoting and blanks, or try nesting them,
>>and then you'll know it's not about style but pretty much about
>>functionality, hence, obsolete (whether it's labeled as such in the
>>standard or not - there is a better alternative).
>>
>>If it were equivalent, I hadn't posted this. It isn't.
>
>Actually, I would argue that sometimes they are equivalent and sometimes
>they are not.  Think of it like physics.  Newtonian mechanics and
>relativity are different.  Relativity always gives the correct answer and
>Newtonian mechanics doesn't always do so, but we still use the older form
>when it does.
>
>So if one wants to use something that always works, use $().  But when
>`command` works, there is no reason not to use it if one wants to.
>Personally, I still use backticks fairly often.
>  (1) On my keyboard, they are significantly easier to type than $().
>  (2) It is a habit; $() did not exist when I started to learn scripting.

Big ditto.

I remember going to great lengths to work around ``'s lack of
nestability back in the old days and cursing the shell syntax for not
providing something better.  Now that there is something better I always
forget to use it.

cgf