public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation
@ 2012-03-07  1:11 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2012-03-07  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Adam Puckett sent the following at Monday, March 05, 2012 10:59 AM

>Here's how I went about installing Cygwin via setup.exe with the free,
>open source screen reader NVDA:
>
>1. Download and run setup.exe, and click "Next" at each prompt, as the
>user guide says, for a core install.
>2. Install additional packages with the -P option. E.G.:
>
>setup -P gcc -P git -P bzr -P python
>
>etc.

(1) Shouldn't this have been appropriate for the main list, not talk?

(2) This sounds like it might work as a basic for the generic "automatic
install" question that periodically shows up on the main list.  Might it
be appropriate for a FAQ or somewhere else in the documentation or on the
web site?  (Not that I have tried this or that it matters to me.)

- Barry

* Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation
@ 2012-03-07  1:55 ` Adam Puckett
From: Adam Puckett @ 2012-03-07  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.

@ 2012-03-07  3:45   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-03-07  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55:01PM -0500, Adam Puckett wrote:
>I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.

Uh, no.  Tips on how to use Cygwin are certainly appropriate for the
Cygwin list.

* Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation
@ 2012-03-07 20:36   ` Adam Puckett
From: Adam Puckett @ 2012-03-07 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM , Christopher Faylor wrote:

> If you can't actually talk in an informative way about a cygwin utility
> on the cygwin list then what in the world would the cygwin list be for?
> Sending "git doesn't work"/"You need to rebase" mantras?

> Yeah, the rules are SO hard.

> If you want to moan and complain about a cygwin personality, take it to
> the talk list.

> If you want to talk about the great pizza that you had last night while
> running setup.exe, take it to the talk list.

> If you want to tell everyone the story of your life and how it came
> about that you are running cygwin, take it to the talk list.

> If you want to talk about hippos and their evolutionary relationship to
> other animals, take it to the talk list.

> If you want to make a sarcastic comment about something somebody said on
> the cygwin list, well, you could just respond to it on the cygwin list
> or you could take it to the talk list.  You'll probably be asked to
> take it here eventually if you keep it up.

> But, then, I don't recall a time in the last several months that someone
> was actually told to take a discussion here.  So it isn't like people
> are constantly being cruelly persecuted by mean mailing list snobs
> attempting to enforce obscure rules.

Thanks, CGF, for clearing that up.

* Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation
@ 2012-03-07 15:23 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-03-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

@ 2012-03-07 11:21 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-07 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Mar  7 06:11, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote on March 06, 2012, at 10:45 PM
> >On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55:01PM -0500, Adam Puckett wrote:
> >>I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.
> >
> >Uh, no.  Tips on how to use Cygwin are certainly appropriate
> >for the Cygwin list.
>
> Whatever one does, it is always wrong.  :-)

No, it's not, and now get off my lawn!

Hippo of the day: Corinna

* RE: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation
@ 2012-03-07 11:12 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2012-03-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-talk@cygwin.com'

@ 2012-03-05 15:58 Adam Puckett