On Nov 20 18:53, Warren Young wrote: > On 11/20/2013 05:53, Charles Wilson wrote: > >So it's a play on words: Manifest Density vs. Manifest Destiny. > > Yes. > > The policy of manifest destiny is a form of pure arrogance: This is > the way it will happen and everyone will either like it or get > steamrolled by the inevitable. > > ...Much like Microsoft "encouraging" apps to use manifest files. > > And I agree, the Microsoft policy implemented by this API *is* > dense. The denser an object is, the less affected it is by incoming > matter. Density is a function of arrogance, so when reason speaks to > arrogance, little happens. What bugs me most is that this manifest enforcement runs completely over the head of community-driven projects. But even so. If some company wants to make sure their applications run on the new OS, it's *not* enough anymore to test. "Yeah, our product still works, nothing to do". Rather, Microsoft practically forces software companies to create new versions, which is a big deal and costs money for nothing. And in a case of a community project like Cygwin, we just can't rebuild all of our packages just to follow up with new manifests. Fortunately there is the chance to use side-by-side manifests, but that's really ugly, isn't it? Twice as many entries in /bin, urgh. Corinna