public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]
       [not found] <CAKYyfB08yy5QPk_w2JMPE909s0AK0H-Rmx=c5G4AUYdqLdCVtQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-01-29 14:07 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2014-01-29 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk; +Cc: earnie

On 1/28/2014 11:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote:
> That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2

Oh, goody. The mingw.org people have been working on something they call
MSYS2 now for a while...and it appears that the haskell folks are NOT
the same people.  So there are TWO msys2's.  Wonderful.

--
Chuck

* Re: MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]
@ 2014-01-29 15:35   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-01-29 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:07:36AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>On 1/28/2014 11:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote:
>> That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2
>
>Oh, goody. The mingw.org people have been working on something they call
>MSYS2 now for a while...and it appears that the haskell folks are NOT
>the same people.  So there are TWO msys2's.  Wonderful.

And, of course, we've volunteered to make modifications to Cygwin to try
to avoid the source fork which have gone unreviewed.

cgf

* Re: MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]
@ 2014-01-30 13:41     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2014-01-30 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On 1/29/2014 10:34 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:07:36AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> On 1/28/2014 11:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote:
>>> That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
>>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2
>>
>> Oh, goody. The mingw.org people have been working on something they call
>> MSYS2 now for a while...and it appears that the haskell folks are NOT
>> the same people.  So there are TWO msys2's.  Wonderful.
>
> And, of course, we've volunteered to make modifications to Cygwin to try
> to avoid the source fork which have gone unreviewed.

I *wish* I had time to review them...I think the "hook" plan you came up
with is a great one.  I'm still struggling just to update the packages I
"maintain" -- and follow up on recent bug reports. :-(

IIRC, the mingw.org guys had already started on some form of MSYS2 for a
while before your proposal and hook implementation...and the "motivated
individuals" working on it were /not/ the same MinGW project leads (like
Earnie and Keith) who monitor the cygwin lists.

So I'm not sure, but it's probable the ball was dropped on the way over
to those "motivated individuals".  Unfortunately, my participation with
MinGW.org has been even more nonexistent than over here, so I'm no
longer the right person to bridge this gap. (At least K seem to be a bit
pissed at me right now judging by some recent posts...)

--

@ 2014-01-30 17:01       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-01-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk