public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: First experiences with WSL (a.k.a. Bash on Windows)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 20:44:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Aug 11 12:34, Warren Young wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2016, at 9:59 PM, Mark Geisert <mark@maxrnd.com> wrote:
> >
> > Warren Young wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Would you kindly https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL ?
>
> That option doesn’t exist in this program.

It does in any program.  Just enter your LF manually.  It's not
complicated, I do this in vim all the time to keep the linelength in
check.

There's also https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855 which asks for a max
line length of 65.  Yes, I don't follow this exactly either, I'm using a
max. linelength of 72 typically, but at least I *do* add my LFs
manually, out of courtesy to my readers.

And yes, there are still folks out there using text-only MUAs like mutt
in an 80 columns terminal.  I do.

> I don’t see the problem anyway.  One unbroken line per paragraph is trivial to wrap in software, and then you get breaks where *you* like them, rather than where *I* like them.

You're lucky.  You never had to reply to your own mails.  I do and it's
seriously ugly to see and edit mails with extremly long lines in vim.
To be able to add a comment after a single sentence, one has to manually
break your lines for you from inside the editor.

So instead of just using linebreaks out of courtesy to allow others to
comment on your mails easily, you push the onus on the recipient.

Bottom line is, it just isn't fun to reply to those mails, so I do it
less and less often.

Corinna