public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Windows cannot update
       [not found] <9D9AC45310887B40A7245734E850FBE17909193A@FS-MX02.frontier.local>
@ 2019-08-03 16:28 ` Fergus
From: Fergus @ 2019-08-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-talk@cygwin.com'

I'm reaching out in desperation to a knowledgeable group. The difficulty is not Cygwin related.
I am using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. (Yes I know, but with 6 months to go it's not completely daft.)
For 10 days I have been unable to update , getting a "Windows could not search for new updates" error message with a 8007000E error code.
I've been online and tried EVERYTHING from sfc to renaming WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution and off-ing and on-ing key services to installing the Update application (didn't know there was one, additional to "Control Panel > Windows Update") to endlessly reconfiguring the Windows Update settings. I've even re-installed from a Windows 7 Pro SP1 iso, but landed in the same place. Windows is activated just fine, it just refuses to Update.
I've had it before and have some kind of recall that it fixed itself when I wasn't looking or trying. No such luck currently.
As stated above, I have other machines with perfectly configured and maintained Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and Windows 10 Pro. But I just want this one to work too. Have any of you accomplished savvy tekky people been here yourself? Do you know EXACTLY what to do?
THANK YOU for bothering to read this.
Fergus

* Re: Windows cannot update
@ 2019-08-03 18:25   ` Lee
From: Lee @ 2019-08-03 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk; +Cc: fergus

On 8/3/19, Fergus  wrote:
> I'm reaching out in desperation to a knowledgeable group. The difficulty is
> not Cygwin related.
> I am using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. (Yes I know, but with 6 months to go it's
> not completely daft.)
> For 10 days I have been unable to update , getting a "Windows could not
> search for new updates" error message with a 8007000E error code.

A search for "windows error 8007000E" gets this:
https://www.repairwin.com/windows-update-8007000e-error-solved/
  Windows Update 8007000E error (SOLVED)
  If you receive the Windows Update error code 8007000E while
searching for updates, then probably the Windows update store folder
is corrupted and you have to re-created it.

I don't know what their policy is now, but it used to be that M$
Support calls were free for security issues.. like not being able to
get updates.

Regards,
Lee

> I've been online and tried EVERYTHING from sfc to renaming
> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution and off-ing and on-ing key services to
> installing the Update application (didn't know there was one, additional to
> "Control Panel > Windows Update") to endlessly reconfiguring the Windows
> Update settings. I've even re-installed from a Windows 7 Pro SP1 iso, but
> landed in the same place. Windows is activated just fine, it just refuses to
> Update.
> I've had it before and have some kind of recall that it fixed itself when I
> wasn't looking or trying. No such luck currently.
> As stated above, I have other machines with perfectly configured and
> maintained Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and Windows 10 Pro. But I just want this
> one to work too. Have any of you accomplished savvy tekky people been here
> yourself? Do you know EXACTLY what to do?
> THANK YOU for bothering to read this.
> Fergus

* Re: Windows cannot update
@ 2019-08-05  9:09 Fergus