public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* HELP
@ 2006-04-19 10:13 Tariq Abbas
From: Tariq Abbas @ 2006-04-19 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

HELP

I really want to unsubscribe to this message group. Can someone please
advise....

TARIQ ABBAS

HEAD OF BUILDING PHYSICS

HILSON MORAN PARTNERSHIP LTD

Tel:      +44 (0)207 940 8888

ddi :     +44 (0)207 940 8860

Fax:     +44 (0)207 940 8801

Email:   tabbas@hilsonmoran.com

Web:    www.hilsonmoran.com

"This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by erroneous
transmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately
delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies
of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient. Hilson Moran Partnership Ltd reserves the
right to monitor all E-Mail communications through its networks. Any
views expressed in this message are those of the sender, except where
the message specifically states them to be the views of Hilson Moran
Partnership Ltd. All transmissions are checked for viruses but all
recipients are advised to undertake their own virus checks as Hilson
Moran Partnership Ltd will not take responsibility for any damage
arising from virus infections".

From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-19 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List'

On 19 April 2006 11:15, Tariq Abbas wrote:

> HELP
>
> I really want to unsubscribe to this message group.

  Oh, you mean *this* one!

> Can someone please advise....

  You just wanna follow the instructions at

  I've tried submitting your email address to the unsubscribe page.  Normally
it would be very wrong to submit someone else's email address, but you did ask
for help!

  If you haven't changed your email address since you subscribed, you should
be getting an unsubscribe confirmation message any time now.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: HELP
@ 2006-04-19 12:58 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-04-19 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List, tabbas

Let's see how many netiquette rules were broken in posting to a public list...

According to Tariq Abbas on 4/19/2006 4:15 AM:
> HELP

Yeah - when you changed the subject line, you dropped the In-Reply-To
headers, so at least you didn't commandeer a thread.  However, since you
included the full text of a message from another thread, I suspect that it
is really a case of you having a bad mail client that doesn't know how to
respect In-Reply-To headers, and that had you used a real email client,
you probably would have violated this rule too.

> I really want to unsubscribe to this message group. Can someone please
> advise....

Ouch - you didn't read the list FAQ at
http://sourceware.org/lists.html#faq, including question 6 "Unsubscribing,
I'm desparate".  Otherwise you wouldn't have sent your unsubscribe request
to the list.

> "This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
> confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.

Ouch - you included an unenforceable piece of legalese trash at the botton
of your message.  This list is publicly archived, so any message sent here
is automatically world-readable, contrary to any claim in your footer.  It
is good netiquette to set up a webmail account that does not impose stupid
footers when posting to a public list, if your place of employment is so
bold as to attach a footer in your behalf.

> No
> confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by erroneous
> transmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately
> delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies
> of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
> disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
> not the intended recipient. Hilson Moran Partnership Ltd reserves the
> right to monitor all E-Mail communications through its networks. Any
> views expressed in this message are those of the sender, except where
> the message specifically states them to be the views of Hilson Moran
> Partnership Ltd. All transmissions are checked for viruses but all
> recipients are advised to undertake their own virus checks as Hilson
> Moran Partnership Ltd will not take responsibility for any damage
> arising from virus infections".

Ouch - your footer is longer than your email!  It is good netiquette to
limit a footer to 4 or 5 lines at the most.

Oops - you posted raw email addresses in your message.  I munged them, but
you should avoid feeding spammers.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

> Subject: RE: HEADS-UP: Modular X11 (ALL maintainers, please read)
>
> On 19 April 2006 03:20, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

Oops - you put your reply on top of the message you were replying to, with
no context, and without trimming irrelevant parts of the original message.
 This is bad netiquette, since no one likes http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

Based on your track record, I hope your unsubscribe request goes through
quickly (and re-read that FAQ for ideas on how to do it properly).

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net

* Re: HELP
@ 2006-04-19 16:29   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-04-19 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tabbas, The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:58:24AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:

>Let's see how many netiquette rules were broken in posting to a public list...

Ouch.  He sent "please unsubscribe me..." mail to postmaster.

cgf

* RE: HELP
@ 2006-04-19 16:57     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'send him to nabble!'

On 19 April 2006 17:29, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:58:24AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>> Let's see how many netiquette rules were broken in posting to a public
>> list...
>
> Ouch.  He sent "please unsubscribe me..." mail to postmaster.
>
> cgf

  He sent me a mail saying "How do I get off this list"?

  Alas, as he sent it to me off-list, and didn't say which list he was talking
about, and hadn't yet posted here, I couldn't offer much advice except "We're
not on a list"!

    cheers,
      DaveK