public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
From: JonY <jon_y@users.sourceforge.net>
To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Problems with updating nearly any package meant for Cygwin or using packages such as libtool
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:34:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11/18/2011 05:32, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>   Good grief.  It also has a Makefile.am and a Makefile.in, but it doesn't use
>>> automake, and their contents are unrelated.  It just cats them together into
>>> the final makefile!
>>
>> I love this quote:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Pointers
>>
>>> As your software is distributed to more and more users, however, you otherwise quickly find yourself putting lots of effort into reinventing the services that the GNU build tools provide, and making the same mistakes that they once made and overcame.
>>
>> Autotools may not be the best out there, and might not be the easiest to
>> develop with, but there's hands down nothing more complete and portable
>> that could take over the impressive role played by the autotools in
>> generating predictable configure and make setups.  It always makes me
>> cringe to see other projects that just don't get that fact, suffering
>> through the problems already solved by autotools.
>
> Very true.
>
> OTOH, I'd love to see some sort of competition for autotools.  I really
> detest having to use them but they are much better than the alternative.
>
> cgf

I simply can't agree more when I need to deal with all those custom hand
written "configure" scripts, cmake or whatever nonsense of the week.

Some reinvent terminology, like using --target to select cross-compiler
prefix. Some do things the retarded way, like using find(1) to look for
libraries instead of letting the compiler do its job. They then check
libraries directly with nm(1), only to be foiled by symbol mangling and
stub libraries.

Most of them are a pain to work with when you have to be edited by hand
to get them to work with cross compilers, yet autotools is surprisingly
painless. Though slow on Windows, unlike the others, autotools actually
works.