public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* MS recommends Cygwin
@ 2012-03-15 11:42 Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2012-03-15 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx

"Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server "8" Beta
The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) is deprecated. If you
use the SUA POSIX subsystem with this release, use Hyper-V to
virtualize the server. If you use the tools provided by SUA, switch to
Cygwin or Mingw."

* Re: MS recommends Cygwin
@ 2012-03-15 12:48 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2012-03-15 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On 3/15/2012 5:42 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx
>
> "Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server "8" Beta
> The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) is deprecated. If you
> use the SUA POSIX subsystem with this release, use Hyper-V to
> virtualize the server. If you use the tools provided by SUA, switch to
> Cygwin or Mingw."

Ding dong, the witch is dead?

* Re: MS recommends Cygwin
@ 2012-03-15 18:44   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-03-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 06:47:40AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>On 3/15/2012 5:42 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx
>>
>> "Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server "8" Beta
>> The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) is deprecated. If you
>> use the SUA POSIX subsystem with this release, use Hyper-V to
>> virtualize the server. If you use the tools provided by SUA, switch to
>> Cygwin or Mingw."
>
>Ding dong, the witch is dead?

But I heard that SUA does fork correctly.  Maybe it uses copy-on-right.
Cygwin should see if it could do the same thing.

* Re: MS recommends Cygwin
@ 2012-03-16 15:04     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2012-03-16 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 06:47:40AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>> On 3/15/2012 5:42 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx
>>>
>>> "Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server "8" Beta
>>> The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) is deprecated. If you
>>> use the SUA POSIX subsystem with this release, use Hyper-V to
>>> virtualize the server. If you use the tools provided by SUA, switch to
>>> Cygwin or Mingw."
>>
>> Ding dong, the witch is dead?
>
> But I heard that SUA does fork correctly.  Maybe it uses copy-on-right.
> Cygwin should see if it could do the same thing.

I went looking to see if the Windows 8 kernel added such a thing, but
instead I came away with the impression that MS wants Win32 to DIAF.

In other words, "You're next, Cygwin."

I think a prerequisite for that unhappy event would be a complete
iPadification of the consumer computing world, but that seems like a
very real possibility to me.  Driven not by MS, but by Apple, as usual.

What I can't see happening is the iPadification of Windows Server.  I
can see it now: Cygwin 1.9 running on Windows Server 2018 Nerd Edition.

* Re: MS recommends Cygwin
@ 2012-03-16 18:24       ` David Eisner
From: David Eisner @ 2012-03-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Warren Young <warren@etr-usa.com> wrote:
> What I can't see happening is the iPadification of Windows Server.  I can

Indeed:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/SAC-416T

"All server apps should be restructured to run on Windows Server
systems without a GUI stack, or with all GUI components found on a
Windows Client system; this is a Windows Server 8 best practice. This
talk explains how to ensure your server apps will work in Windows
Server 8 when the GUI shell is uninstalled, how to ensure your app is
remotely manageable, and how this positions your app for no GUI stack.
This talk will also cover how to use PowerShell to quickly and easily
add and/or enhance your remote management capabilities."

-David

* Re: MS recommends Cygwin
@ 2012-03-16 18:31         ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2012-03-16 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On 3/16/2012 12:24 PM, David Eisner wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Warren Young<warren@etr-usa.com>  wrote:
>> What I can't see happening is the iPadification of Windows Server.  I can
>
> Indeed:
>
> http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/SAC-416T
>
> "All server apps should be restructured to run on Windows Server
> systems without a GUI stack...PowerShell....ya ya ya...

Waitamminit....  you're telling me Windows Server 8 can finally work
like PDP-8 Unix?

I should have seen that coming.  It's not the iPadification of Windows
Server, it's the VMification.  Same effect, in this case: MS still wants
the classic desktop to die.

The pendulum, she keeps on swinging....