public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Cygwin | Cygwin Compatibility Issue report ID 386608.
       [not found] <14E0BAF8C46B004EA0F423189D2F8EE6131D2F0B@SN2PRD0310MB396.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2012-04-27  9:08 ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2012-04-27  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Anuja Singh (MP Tech Consulting LLC) wrote:

> Hi Cygwin Support,
>
> I am a Program Manager with the Ecosystem Engineering team at Microsoft.
> At Mobile World Congress in February, Microsoft announced the availability of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Please use the resources available at the Windows Development Center and begin testing your applications. For more information on how to verify the compatibility of your applications on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, please refer to the Windows and Windows Server 8 Consumer Preview Compatibility Cookbook.
>
> Our team drives the bug notification activity with our valued Windows partners. This email is to notify you that Cygwin experienced compatibility issue during internal Microsoft testing.
> Please review the details provided below with regard to this issue.
>
> Compatibility Issue details:�
>
> Product name: Cygwin

--------------

Now that MS is dropping their posix-compat software and pointing people at
cygwin, seems like they are more interested in having it work... imagine that...

* Re: Cygwin | Cygwin Compatibility Issue report ID 386608.
@ 2012-05-07 10:49   ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2012-05-07 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On 27/04/2012 11.08, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Anuja Singh (MP Tech Consulting LLC) wrote:
>
>> Hi Cygwin Support,
>>
>> I am a Program Manager with the Ecosystem Engineering team at Microsoft.
>> At Mobile World Congress in February, Microsoft announced the availability of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Please use the resources available at the Windows Development Center and begin testing your applications. For more information on how to verify the compatibility of your applications on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, please refer to the Windows and Windows Server 8 Consumer Preview Compatibility Cookbook.
>>
>> Our team drives the bug notification activity with our valued Windows partners. This email is to notify you that Cygwin experienced compatibility issue during internal Microsoft testing.
>> Please review the details provided below with regard to this issue.
>>
>> Compatibility Issue details:�
>>
>> Product name: Cygwin
>>
> --------------
>
> Now that MS is dropping their posix-compat software and pointing people at
> cygwin, seems like they are more interested in having it work... imagine that...

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile...

* Re: Cygwin | Cygwin Compatibility Issue report ID 386608.
@ 2012-05-26 19:01     ` Mark Rousell
From: Mark Rousell @ 2012-05-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On 07/05/2012 11:48, Danilo Turina wrote:
> On 27/04/2012 11.08, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> Anuja Singh (MP Tech Consulting LLC) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Cygwin Support,
>>>
>>> I am a Program Manager with the Ecosystem Engineering team at Microsoft.
>>> At Mobile World Congress in February, Microsoft announced the
>>> availability of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Please use the
>>> resources available at the Windows Development Center and begin
>>> testing your applications. For more information on how to verify the
>>> compatibility of your applications on Windows 8 Consumer Preview,
>>> please refer to the Windows and Windows Server 8 Consumer Preview
>>> Compatibility Cookbook.
>>>
>>> Our team drives the bug notification activity with our valued Windows
>>> partners. This email is to notify you that Cygwin experienced
>>> compatibility issue during internal Microsoft testing.
>>> Please review the details provided below with regard to this issue.
>>>
>>> Compatibility Issue details:�
>>>
>>> Product name: Cygwin
>>>
>> --------------
>>
>> Now that MS is dropping their posix-compat software and pointing
>> people at
>> cygwin, seems like they are more interested in having it work...
>> imagine that...
>>
> You will be assimilated, resistance is futile...

I look forward to the forthcoming Metro version of Cygwin! Bash in a
live tile?

Microsoft's strangely desperate-seeming attempts to force desktop and
laptop users away from the desktop metaphor GUI to a mobile-centric UI
that is wholly unsuitable for desktops and laptops (and unsuitable for
local admin of servers for that matter) is bizarre. I can't think it
will do the company any good.

Why won't they just accept that one UI does not fit all form factors?

--
MarkR

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp
Key ID: C9C5C162