public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* NASA cygwin approach
@ 2012-06-24  6:35 marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-06-24  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

As found on HEASOFT compiling instructions:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/lheasoft/

2) Run setup.exe

    Choose a download source, root directory, (default text file type =
unix), local package directory, connection type, and download site (for
example, ftp://ftp.nas.nasa.gov), and then select packages.

* Important: the default package selections are insufficient for using
HEASOFT. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:

Once you have reached the "Select Packages" window, the top-most line
will look something like this:

+All () Default

But by default, not all of Cygwin is installed. You should click the
arrowed circle (or the word "Default") in the first line beside "+All"
until it says "Install" instead of "Default" (one click should do it),
i.e. the top line should then look like this:

+All () Install

This will install all of Cygwin. In the past, we have suggested a set
of required packages for building or using HEASOFT, but as the contents
of Cygwin packages seem to change regularly, we strongly recommend that
you install everything to avoid missing any necessary items.

If you experience problems during the Cygwin setup, please check the
resources available at the Cygwin site:

http://cygwin.com/faq/ (Cygwin FAQ)
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/ (Cygwin User's Guide)
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html (help with setup.exe)

Heasoft is a large package but suggesting to install all cygwin
seems a bit too drastic....

Marco

* Re: NASA cygwin approach
@ 2012-06-25 17:09 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2012-06-25 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On 6/24/2012 12:34 AM, marco atzeri wrote:

> Heasoft is a large package but suggesting to install all cygwin
> seems a bit too drastic....

Indeed.  I hope all those HEASoft users are enjoying their copies of
doxygen, gnucap, lilypond, nfrotz, qsf, and sudoku.

(Not picking on any Cygwin package maintainers in particular here.  I've
just randomly cherry-picked some packages unlikely to be of direct use
in X-ray astronomy, which seems to be the focus of HEASoft.)

* Re: NASA cygwin approach
@ 2012-06-25 19:15   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-06-25 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:08:43AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>On 6/24/2012 12:34 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
>>
>> Heasoft is a large package but suggesting to install all cygwin
>> seems a bit too drastic....
>
>Indeed.  I hope all those HEASoft users are enjoying their copies of
>doxygen, gnucap, lilypond, nfrotz, qsf, and sudoku.
>
>(Not picking on any Cygwin package maintainers in particular here.  I've
>just randomly cherry-picked some packages unlikely to be of direct use
>in X-ray astronomy, which seems to be the focus of HEASoft.)

A likely story.  I now expect a mass exodus of affronted package
maintainers.

Thanks a lot.

cgf

* Re: NASA cygwin approach
@ 2012-06-25 19:27     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2012-06-25 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:08:43AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>> On 6/24/2012 12:34 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
>>>
>>> Heasoft is a large package but suggesting to install all cygwin
>>> seems a bit too drastic....
>>
>> Indeed.  I hope all those HEASoft users are enjoying their copies of
>> doxygen, gnucap, lilypond, nfrotz, qsf, and sudoku.
>>
>> (Not picking on any Cygwin package maintainers in particular here.  I've
>> just randomly cherry-picked some packages unlikely to be of direct use
>> in X-ray astronomy, which seems to be the focus of HEASoft.)
>
> A likely story.  I now expect a mass exodus of affronted package
> maintainers.
>
> Thanks a lot.

You are right as always.  As maintainer (in a handwaving sort of way) of
the doxygen package, I am affronted and am, um...nevermind.

* Re: NASA cygwin approach
@ 2012-06-25 19:34       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-06-25 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 01:27:00PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>On 6/25/2012 1:15 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Indeed.  I hope all those HEASoft users are enjoying their copies of
>>> doxygen, gnucap, lilypond, nfrotz, qsf, and sudoku.
>>>
>>> (Not picking on any Cygwin package maintainers in particular here.  I've
>>> just randomly cherry-picked some packages unlikely to be of direct use
>>> in X-ray astronomy, which seems to be the focus of HEASoft.)
>>
>> A likely story.  I now expect a mass exodus of affronted package
>> maintainers.
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>
>You are right as always.  As maintainer (in a handwaving sort of way) of
>the doxygen package, I am affronted and am, um...nevermind.

This is an interesting example of recursive affrontery.  You don't often
see that in the wild.