public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
From: Charles Wilson <cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm>
To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
Subject: Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:53:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> On Nov 19 16:08, Warren Young wrote:
>> On 11/19/2013 10:13, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> How dense is that?
>>
>> Manifest Density.
>>
>> (American joke.)
>
> ...which I don't get.  Care to explain on cygwin-talk?

Manifest Destiny was a philosophy prevalent in the 1800's in America,
that it was fore-ordained by God that the United States was destined to
eventually settle and incorporate territory from the Atlantic to the
Pacific.  It was going to happen, it was right and just that it happen,
and all it would take was time and a little American perseverance.

Never mind those pesky Plains Indians^WNative Americans.  How important,
really, are the ancestral homelands and beliefs of a bunch of "savages"
when compared to God's Plan for America?

So it's a play on words: Manifest Density vs. Manifest Destiny.

--
Chuck