public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Design mixed 32 and 64 bit systems.
@ 2013-11-27 20:13 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2013-11-27 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Technically, the following is off topic for this list.  But because
it is about what appears to me as a done deal - something that is too
late to change - I thought it might be off-topic for the main list.
We can move it there if you feel that appropriate.

As I understand it, 32 bit and 64 bit have to be in different directory
trees, e.g., C:\cygwin and C:\cygwin64.  As I understand it, that
is because they both look for /bin/cygwin1.dll and avoid getting the
wrong one by having different root directories.

My question is why 64 bit wasn't named cygwin2.dll?  32 bit would
be version 1.7.25 and the corresponding 64 bit version would be
2.7.25.  Could that have allowed a single, mixed, transitional,
64-except-32-when-no-64 installation?

Remember that I'm not a programmer and everything that I think that
I've learned about this topic I've picked up by read the cygwin
and cygwin-apps mailing lists.  So this is for my education and no
response is necessary.

Tomorrow, Cygwin and the community that supports it will be on my
list of things that I'm thankful for.

TIA,

- Barry